The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a horse that has yellow powdery stuff around his butt. After looking around awhile I thought it might be pinworms, but he doesn't itch his butt. What would the yellowish stuff be? I need a good article that I can print out and give to the owner.:-|

·
Registered
553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I read somewhere that if you worm them and they had an overload of worms that the will colic? Any articles on that?

·
Registered
1,117 Posts
I don't really know how true that statement is. A horse can colic for many reasons, but if the horse has worms they need to get gone. They won't get any better so no matter what you'll has to worm him, and just waiting to do it won't help. If you are worried that colic might be an issue just hang out with him for a while after to keep an eye on him, but I doubt he will.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I have heard a horse with a lot of worms will colic. I have also been told if they have a lot of worms and you use a very strong wormer they can also colic. You need to get with your vet and get figure out a worming schedule. Of your horse has worms that bad it is a process to get rid of them.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
This article is specifically about tapeworms, but does talk about the risk of colic with deworming horses with a heavy worm burden: Colic after tapeworm treatment

This is primarily a concern with horses that have very heavy worm loads or who haven't been wormed for tapeworms regularly (since only a few products actually kill tapeworms). Putting off the worming isn't the solution in this case; rather, deworming under the supervision of a vet who will likely suggest worming with a narrow spectrum or half-dose dewormer and then following it up with a full dose of a broader spectrum dewormer about a week later. The vet may do fecal/blood tests first to determine how heavy a worm load the horse actually has.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.