The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
I also would not have left my horse at that facility. In fact I would have never brought him there. I think the blame falls on you on this one. Yes the owners and manager should not have let your horse roam around and such but the other conditions of the farm sound horrific so I wouldn't expect them to care much about the health of the horse in the first place. A few months ago I got a new horse and decided I was going to put her up in a field for 50 per month until I could decide what to do with another of my horses that I was looking to sell. It had good references from the manager of the farm I board at so I thought why not. I had seen some of the property and it looked pretty nice and the owners were very friendly if not horse knowledgeable (np I'd be there every day as well as my farm manager and our numbers are posted in case of emergency). Well I brought my mare down and saw the only field she could go in that was not absolutely gigantic with waist high grass in parts (mare was very fat) had a string of barbed wire around the top of the fence, plastic pipes sticking out of the ground, although filled up, and a HUGE amount of flies. Needless to say I was pretty unhappy. A few days and many bug bites later (even with fly sheat and mask) I was ready to have my horse live in my backyard rather than stay in a field with barbed wire and pipes never mind the excessive amount of flies. I moved her to a small paddock on the property with proper fencing ASAP then discovered some days she was only being fed the once a day that I came up and gave her some hay and grain and a few times I was there just after she had been fed...about half a flake. I had already arranged to have her move to my other boarding facility on the first of the month but after that I fed her all her meals and felt terrible for ever bringing her there. That was my fault she was there even if it was only for a month until I could get her the hell out of there but I took responsibility every step of the way and ensured she was as safe as possible until I could get her somewhere I knew I could trust. The conditions of the property you had your mini on is somewhere I would never ever have allowed my horse to stay on even for a month. It is your responsibily to ensure your horses wellbeing and that he has safe conditions to live on not the owners of the property. If you found something unsafe it is your job to do what needs to be done to make sure your horse is living in proper conditions whether thats checking to make sure his feet are being done as agreed upon, asking the owners to clean up the field and fix fencing or if they refuse doing it yourself or getting your horse somewhere safe. You knew the conditions, you saw the field, knew fencing was down and that they were letting your horse out multiple times. It is on you the blame falls. If you can't afford to keep your horse somewhere safe you shouldn't own a horse just my opinion and sorry if that's harsh.
Posted via Mobile Device

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.