The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay so I just got a message from my boarding facility that one of the horses had to be put down today. He was my mares pasture mate :(. He has been biting his legs for a few weeks and making sores. Today he seemed to go completely blind and he was going in circles at one point. He also flipped completely over on a fence and thankfully that didn't hurt him. The vet checked him out and rectaled him. There were tumors in his rectum. So the problem was that there was probably a tumor in his brain and the pressure finally set everything off today. My worry is that it may not be a tumor and possibly something transmitable. And it know that there will be no necropsy to tell for sure what it was. does anyone think it could be something else? I kinda thought maybe epm but all the horses at the farm are on the same feed and I would think that more of them would have it if it was that, there's 32 total. Plus the small progression of him biting his legs seems a little different. Any opinions? I'm just trying to put my mind at rest right now :(

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
Okay so I just got a message from my boarding facility that one of the horses had to be put down today. He was my mares pasture mate :(. He has been biting his legs for a few weeks and making sores. Today he seemed to go completely blind and he was going in circles at one point. He also flipped completely over on a fence and thankfully that didn't hurt him. The vet checked him out and rectaled him. There were tumors in his rectum. So the problem was that there was probably a tumor in his brain and the pressure finally set everything off today. My worry is that it may not be a tumor and possibly something transmitable. And it know that there will be no necropsy to tell for sure what it was. does anyone think it could be something else? I kinda thought maybe epm but all the horses at the farm are on the same feed and I would think that more of them would have it if it was that, there's 32 total. Plus the small progression of him biting his legs seems a little different. Any opinions? I'm just trying to put my mind at rest right now :(
Not an expert, but if the Horse had symptoms for 2 weeks, anything transmittable would have been caught by your Horse by now.

At 32 I think he was old and his time to go as that is fairly old for most breeds, I would not worry about your Horse catching what he had......

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
misunderstanding sorry there are 32 horses on the property he was 20 yrs old. Sorry I guess I typed that funny. Thanks for the feedback that helps. I'm just a little on the paranoid side. Idk what I'd do if something happened to Lena .

·
Registered
13,661 Posts
misunderstanding sorry there are 32 horses on the property he was 20 yrs old. Sorry I guess I typed that funny. Thanks for the feedback that helps. I'm just a little on the paranoid side. Idk what I'd do if something happened to Lena .
I might have read that wrong also, but I would guess anything transmittable would have shown up in 2 weeks time..... I would not worry.....

·
Registered
5,323 Posts
Yeah he was grey. Are u psychic lol
I was wondering the same thing :) Gray horses are especially prone to melanoma- at age 20 I'd be more surprised if he didn't have at least a few melanomas going on. Most don't cause any problems, but internal ones can be very problematic.

Reactions: PaintedMare

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I was wondering the same thing :) Gray horses are especially prone to melanoma- at age 20 I'd be more surprised if he didn't have at least a few melanomas going on. Most don't cause any problems, but internal ones can be very problematic.
That makes me feel more at ease. Thanks . I still feel awful about the horse and his owner but I am glad to know that none of the other horses including mine will contract anything from this.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.