The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,414 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'm not currently looking for a horse, and this one would certainly not be on the list to check out if I were. I was wondering if anyone else had seen something like this and whether it was caused by damage to the spine somehow, or if the horse was born this way.

·
Registered
8,193 Posts
It could be either. As AC said, some horses will end up with a back like this through injury. I've seen one that smashed his wither, and there was so much scar tissue that resulted, that his back appeared similar to this horse's.
I would say this horse's soundness won't last for terribly long, and he won't be up to carrying heavy loads or hard work. I could be wrong though, there are always exceptions. I've seen a terribly downhill, short legged quarter horse perform quite an acceptable piaffe under a 'classical' rider.

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
Like others have said, it could be the result of an injury or she may have been born with a deformed spine. Frankly, I'm surprised that she has stayed sound (and accepting) for any riding at all. She must have an incredibly tolerant temperament.

·
Registered
179 Posts
this is a first for me, i've never seen a back like that. i wonder if it's possible like another poster said that she broke her withers and that mass is scar tissue. if it is truly healed and the scar tissue that's formed is protecting the area, I suppose it's possible that she isn't in pain. I agree not likely. I would really be interested in seeing a video of her going to see what her movement is like.

·
Banned
4,289 Posts
She's in pain, whatever the root cause.
Not necessarily. It's really hard to say without knowing her history. She could have been injured, but my gut tells me she is just unfortunate in that she has a slight roach back, a short back to begin with, is uphill, and has mutton withers, the combination of the 4 being what we see, and I think she probably isn't as bad off as her wonky looking conformation suggests. She is certainly a conformation trainwreck, that's for certain...

·
Registered
134 Posts
She looks excessively top-heavy to me... (giant chest/shoulders vs. slim hind quarters). I couldn't imagine that she could enjoy riding, let alone anchor a saddle properly...

·
Registered
3,199 Posts
Could be a minor roach back, or it could be an extreme case of mutton withers. I have seen horses that have virtually no withers, but not to that extreme.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.