The Horse Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Newbie question again....

I bought a nice new saddle when I got my horse but the saddle didn't fit my horse properly so I got a saddle fitter involved and got a proper saddle.
I have kept that new saddle (rode in it about 4 hours maybe) and it is in perfect condition except some dirt on the stirrups. A riding pal asked to borrow the saddle to see if they liked it and to see if it fit their horse. He loved the saddle and it fit his horse perfectly so he wants to buy it.
Here's my question: I spent $1000 for it new, what is a fair price to charge? I looked at the saddle online and it now retails for $1200. Please advise...I don't want to ask an unreasonable amount but also am not looking to be taken advantage of since I am new to horses. Thanks!

·
Registered
10,789 Posts
You will probably get widely varied answers.

First, my thought is to go by what you paid, not what they are selling for now, in terms of the bottom dollar you will accept.

2. I would start the conversation by saying something like “do you know this saddle retails for $1,200 today?”

2.1. Regardless of the reply, I would politely say that you have only sat in the saddle four hours and would like $1,000 for it. You have probably already told the person that is what you paid for it but don’t menation that again.

2.2. If you don’t already have a bottom dollar fixed in your heard that you will accept- put one there:)

For me it would $900. I wouldnt be happy with accepting “only” $900 as the saddle itself is in “right out of the box new” condition but I would:)

2.2.2. The man is essentially getting $300 off a brand new saddle that perfectly fits his horse and himself—- a stroke of absolute luck in the horse world as you are finding out, when it comes to saddle fitting, lollol

·
Registered
4,754 Posts
I can't tell you how to price your saddle, but I can tell you about a saddle I bought. It was a saddle from Dover, jumping style, that retailed at somewhere around 1k to 1200. Someone had bought it new, had it professionally re-sized, and then realized it didn't fit their horse. It was in like-new condition. The lady who sold it to me was the saddle fitter who worked at Dover and who had obtained this saddle for the purchaser. She sold it to me for $400. I do think I got a really good deal, but I think it's reasonable to say that someone in the position of this saddle fitter at Dover probably had a decent idea of what something like that was "worth," and that was significantly less than its cost new.

Reactions: Wil Meln

·
Super Moderator
14,997 Posts
It is said, or was said years ago that mark-up on horse tack is 100% when you purchase through a store...so beware of that.
A new saddle complete as it sounds you are selling is also stirrups and leathers is another $100 , more or less depending upon your taste and pocketbook when you put your saddle together.
So to me...used is used but, your saddle barely counts as used except it isn't coming from a store or retail site so...it does lose some value.
I would not take a dollar less than $800 if you want it gone.
You can hold-out for more but then you also could alienate your friends interest and he go buy a different saddle too...

You paid $1,000....and you altered the saddle is the truth whether that works for this friend is irrelevant to me...
You altered a new saddle and that cost you $$$...so $800 I think is fair to not ask but say no less will I take.
If you can get more, do so...but....it is not new and has been ridden in and has been altered to fit does change worth and value to me.
Good luck with your sale.
🐴 jmo...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
You will probably get widely varied answers.

First, my thought is to go by what you paid, not what they are selling for now, in terms of the bottom dollar you will accept.

2. I would start the conversation by saying something like “do you know this saddle retails for $1,200 today?”

2.1. Regardless of the reply, I would politely say that you have only sat in the saddle four hours and would like $1,000 for it. You have probably already told the person that is what you paid for it but don’t menation that again.

2.2. If you don’t already have a bottom dollar fixed in your heard that you will accept- put one there:)

For me it would $900. I wouldnt be happy with accepting “only” $900 as the saddle itself is in “right out of the box new” condition but I would:)

2.2.2. The man is essentially getting $300 off a brand new saddle that perfectly fits his horse and himself—- a stroke of absolute luck in the horse world as you are finding out, when it comes to saddle fitting, lollol
Thanks for your helpful reply. I will set a price and see what happens. Will

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I can't tell you how to price your saddle, but I can tell you about a saddle I bought. It was a saddle from Dover, jumping style, that retailed at somewhere around 1k to 1200. Someone had bought it new, had it professionally re-sized, and then realized it didn't fit their horse. It was in like-new condition. The lady who sold it to me was the saddle fitter who worked at Dover and who had obtained this saddle for the purchaser. She sold it to me for $400. I do think I got a really good deal, but I think it's reasonable to say that someone in the position of this saddle fitter at Dover probably had a decent idea of what something like that was "worth," and that was significantly less than its cost new.
I appreciate your input. Will

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It is said, or was said years ago that mark-up on horse tack is 100% when you purchase through a store...so beware of that.
A new saddle complete as it sounds you are selling is also stirrups and leathers is another $100 , more or less depending upon your taste and pocketbook when you put your saddle together.
So to me...used is used but, your saddle barely counts as used except it isn't coming from a store or retail site so...it does lose some value.
You can hold-out for more but then you also could alienate your friends interest and he go buy a different saddle too...

You paid $1,000....and you altered the saddle is the truth whether that works for this friend is irrelevant to me...
You altered a new saddle and that cost you $$$...so $800 I think is fair to not ask but say no less will I take.
If you can get more, do so...but....it is not new and has been ridden in and has been altered to fit does change worth and value to me.
🐴 jmo...
Thanks for your suggestion; I am going to tell the guy the price I will sell for. He's not a friend so if he wants it he can buy it. I haven't altered the saddle in any way except to add a cinch as it didn't come with that. I sure appreciate the help on this. Will

·
Registered
6,151 Posts
ask for what you paid , since it is basically new. If you want to make a profit but below of brand new never been sat in , ask 1100. All he can say is NO . Or barter you down.

·
Registered
41 Posts
As far as I see and it might be regardless the place, prices may vary on the used market. I got the saddle not new but due to the unknown in my area name way cheaper than the same but bigger name (both are French saddles from premium manufacturers). But my previous one I got also cheaper that it's on a market now. So I decided that when the buyer appears I won't ask for the current price on the second market. By the way everything (good or bad) returns *)

·
Super Moderator
12,915 Posts
If your horse is new to you and the saddle is under 6 months AND you have not made any mention of what you paid then $900 to 1100 but don't be surprised of an offer for less. Know your bottom line for what you will accept - don't mention that either to give you room to counter offer. I'd also look up the used price for that saddle in your area so you know what to expect. You've ridden in it even if still like new. The pal has ridden in it even if still like new. In your mind still new in the pal's - likely used.

·
Registered
1,406 Posts

🐴 jmo...
100 percent mark up on horse tack???
I should have moved to the US years ago !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

·
Super Moderator
14,997 Posts
100 percent mark up on horse tack???
I should have moved to the US years ago !!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Well, that is what 2 business owners of tack shops told me who were also friends...that was in the mid 80's.
I have/had no reason to not believe them that mark-up was lucrative in the locations their businesses were...
My friends had many brands and a wide choice of quality from just above junk cause it sold to truly incredible to choose from,... all were in the store "free", as in not needing to be paid for till sold from the inventory as many stores work from, I guess a form of new merchandise consignment...but paid for when sold.

You must admit unclearthur that a saddle does not bring in a profit "tiny" in amount?
My guess would be several hundred dollars for that item of large cost and then it is also hoped the accessories are purchased too which just increases profit margin...

Same as a new car at a dealership....they don't own them, they are owned by the manufacturer.
If anything the dealership pays possibly interest on the vehicles worth, then charged to you in some of the dealer fees added to your sales contract...
When a car is sold the price you pay is quite a bit above cost to cover expenses of the dealership and commissions...
Saddles and tack are no different...that is just being honest a observation made of how businesses work.
I have no argument with a business supplying what I wish to purchase earning a profit...

In the big picture, the man paid fair value for his saddle, but to sell it now since it has been used {regardless of how much} it has lost value...the question he has is does he try to make money now the saddle to buy new is several hundred more $$ and recoup all his cost "plus" or having the chance to sell a saddle he can't use, take a bit of loss and much cash in his hand....
All in how you look at the whole picture...;)
For me, I would be glad to recoup what I paid or as close to it as possible but not try to make more because inflation now increased a price....
Actually, he might just find himself with a "no sale" since the person who is wanting also can see a few more $ and he has new not used even if it is his using AND a warranty on that expensive investment he doesn't get buying "used".
Those thoughts are indeed what the OP to me needs to consider when putting price to selling something he not want.
🐴... jmo...

·
Registered
1,406 Posts
Well, that is what 2 business owners of tack shops told me who were also friends...that was in the mid 80's.
I have/had no reason to not believe them that mark-up was lucrative in the locations their businesses were...
My friends had many brands and a wide choice of quality from just above junk cause it sold to truly incredible to choose from,... all were in the store "free", as in not needing to be paid for till sold from the inventory as many stores work from, I guess a form of new merchandise consignment...but paid for when sold.

You must admit unclearthur that a saddle does not bring in a profit "tiny" in amount?
My guess would be several hundred dollars for that item of large cost and then it is also hoped the accessories are purchased too which just increases profit margin...

Same as a new car at a dealership....they don't own them, they are owned by the manufacturer.
If anything the dealership pays possibly interest on the vehicles worth, then charged to you in some of the dealer fees added to your sales contract...
When a car is sold the price you pay is quite a bit above cost to cover expenses of the dealership and commissions...
Saddles and tack are no different...that is just being honest a observation made of how businesses work.
I have no argument with a business supplying what I wish to purchase earning a profit...

In the big picture, the man paid fair value for his saddle, but to sell it now since it has been used {regardless of how much} it has lost value...the question he has is does he try to make money now the saddle to buy new is several hundred more $$ and recoup all his cost "plus" or having the chance to sell a saddle he can't use, take a bit of loss and much cash in his hand....
All in how you look at the whole picture...;)
For me, I would be glad to recoup what I paid or as close to it as possible but not try to make more because inflation now increased a price....
Actually, he might just find himself with a "no sale" since the person who is wanting also can see a few more $ and he has new not used even if it is his using AND a warranty on that expensive investment he doesn't get buying "used".
Those thoughts are indeed what the OP to me needs to consider when putting price to selling something he not want.
🐴... jmo...
To give an idea, I used to work on 35-37.5% margin on saddles and leatherwork (54-60% markup). Doesn't sound too bad, but there are other things to take into account besides the figures, eg.
(i) Some saddle manufacturers have a published retail price that may rely on a lower margin/markup. Purchasers will expect the saddle to fit at that price, so there's an adjustment cost plus the cost of travelling to the purchaser to absorb.
(ii) Ordering a new saddle involves the retailer in a capital outlay. With the best will in the world, not all of them fit well enough when they're received, so the customer ends up not purchasing. Then your capital outlay ends up on a rack until another horse comes along, which can be some time. I've had saddles for years before they find an owner, and I bet most retailers are the same.
(iii) Many purchasers will expect you to take their old saddle in part-exchange. This is ok if the saddle is in good condition, but everyone expects top dollar. That equates to no margin on resale for the retailer, or disappointment for the new saddle owner if they accept a realistic (for the retailer) price, a negative which any salesperson will tell you should be avoided at all costs because it makes the purchaser more likely to find fault, real or imagined, with their new saddle.

Those are just a couple of potential issues. The profit doesn't sound so good now, does it? :confused:

·
Super Moderator
14,997 Posts
Sorry, but no....
The cost of doing business as a tack shop has pitfalls as do all businesses where supplying special is often difficult.
I know my friends and many tack stores have a policy if it is special ordered it is fully paid for upfront and no returns at full-value at all...
I know it as "restocking fees" which are exorbitant in % kept... would probably be your mark-up...
And when it was already special order pre-paid not sold from your already had inventory it not hurt the store bottom line.
Its also why many places have gone to trial-ride programs....
One way or the other you purchase a saddle or it costs you...
On the other-hand, if you buy a saddle that is returned after try and not liked, it is discounted as used but...but the store has also received some $ in the dealings from prior user.

True story...
I happen to have bought a saddle that was ordered in for someone who changed their mind and refused...
It sat on the store rack for 6 months before I came along...
The store wanted it gone, the original buyer had had it special ordered and then changed their mind for a different saddle...
The "non-purchased" lost $$$ for restocking fee...
The store sold it as "used" because it had holes for a nameplate in the cantle...
I bought it at a savings of $$$ as it fit me, fit my horse and budget was fantastic.
I bought a $2,000 saddle for less than $1,400 with sales tax and all were happy.
Then I also bought a saddle pad for another few hundred dollars and some other equipment I needed totaling $500 more for the store in sold goods...
They did not lose money but made it.

I only know my friends sold me items at cost, they never lost $, I never asked but no business can afford to lose.
When I bought a pair of paddock boots for $25 that were brand new in a box marked $75.00 {remember this is mid 80's prices}.... dang boots were the best paddock boots I've ever owned and could not kill them.
My cobbler put so many new soles on them he finally had to tell me the leather was spent and no more could he replace.... 7 years later.
So I do indeed get the markups made...what the percentages are...well... only know what I was told at that time, today is probably different but still...
There is a considerable profit margin and if done right with special order no return policy....IDK. 😐

To the original poster...

I'm sorry and apologies for taking your thread to a different realm but if you read you also see there is a reason to price your "used" saddle carefully...
Once it is no longer in the hands of the retailer...it is "used" is how many look at a situation like yours.
Seller beware...
Buyer beware...
:censored:..no more from me on the subject.
🐴

1 - 15 of 15 Posts