·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Horse Vertebrate Mammal Mane Horse tack
Horse Vertebrate Mammal Mane Mare
Tree Grass Road Plant Land lot
Horse Mammal Vertebrate Mane Mare

Is my gelding sway back? would he benefit from a sway back pad? Any suggestions on the best cost effective pad??
(was looking into reinsman contour tacky too swayback pad) opinions?

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Don't think he looks swayed but can't tell much from those pics. The first one would be a good angle to see, if the pad wasn't in the way!

Regardless of his shape, if the saddle doesn't fit, 'shimming' or padding can be an effective enough temporary measure, *if* the saddle is wide enough to accommodate without making it too tight. Riding bareback is also helpful if a saddle can't fit a shape without 'room to grow'. If his shape's not going to change with strength, then I'd be looking for a saddle that fit him better, rather than trying to pad to make it fit.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Don't think he looks swayed but can't tell much from those pics. The first one would be a good angle to see, if the pad wasn't in the way!

Regardless of his shape, if the saddle doesn't fit, 'shimming' or padding can be an effective enough temporary measure, *if* the saddle is wide enough to accommodate without making it too tight. Riding bareback is also helpful if a saddle can't fit a shape without 'room to grow'. If his shape's not going to change with strength, then I'd be looking for a saddle that fit him better, rather than trying to pad to make it fit.

Horse tack Saddle Bridle Rein Horse harness
This is what im using on him with a blanket over top

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Don't know what you mean by 'with a blanket on top' but can't tell anything about fit from that pic, except the saddle's not too long for him.
a saddle blanket (the purple blanket in first pic) is what I meant I put a saddle blanket over top of the pad and my saddle fits him I had my trainer be sure before I bought it.

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
You've got a pad under it already. Too much padding isn't helpful. If you're so sure your saddle fits already, I don't get why you're considering different padding & why you posted that pic??:? The saddle might be a bit far forward in that pic, but would need to see it without padding to be sure.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You've got a pad under it already. Too much padding isn't helpful. If you're so sure your saddle fits already, I don't get why you're considering different padding & why you posted that pic??:? The saddle might be a bit far forward in that pic, but would need to see it without padding to be sure.
I posted the thread to see opinions on if my horse is swayback and if so would he benefit from a thicker pad. I just bought him the gray one pictured he had only the purple blanket and not as thick pad on before.

·
Super Moderator
15,270 Posts
Swayback, or lordosis, is characterized by a horse having a drooping spinal chord behind the withers, creating a bowed topline. Although the condition looks as if it's painful, few horses with lordosis are experiencing pain.

I think I remember reading that if you took the high point of the wither and rump, run a string between the two points, where the greatest "drop" is if more than 2" it is said to be swayback...
The better part of that though is why is that condition there...

If you truly think your horse is swaybacked it might be in your horses best interest to look for a swayback pad while you work the horse to develop the back muscles into proper condition.
There are many helpful articles regarding swaybacks and the how and why it is there and how to help the condition with exercises and proper tack fit.

When reading about this years ago I found interesting is if this is a sudden "onset" thing to have your horse checked for Cushings...there is a strong connection between the two ailments.

If you were able to take and show a picture of your horse standing square on a flat surface naked it would be a fairer opinion offered. A covered back with saddle or pad is not any way to make a educated guess and opinion to you or any poster trying to help...
I personally would be hesitant to say one way or the other without seeing better pictures...and would hate to make a suggestion of a different saddle or expensive pads if they were not warranted or needed.
:wink:

·
Premium Member
24,134 Posts
Like I said, you can't tell from those pics. If the saddle truly fits, it fits. Therefore there is no need for any particular sort of padding. If it fits well, it also shouldn't interfere with further 'topline' development. But in reality, they often do & I'd advise lots of building exercises off the horse's back & also bareback if that's the case. If the saddle doesn't fit & you think he's sway backed & that's the reason, then yes, a particular pad or shimming may be helpful.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Like I said, you can't tell from those pics. If the saddle truly fits, it fits. Therefore there is no need for any particular sort of padding. If it fits well, it also shouldn't interfere with further 'topline' development. But in reality, they often do & I'd advise lots of building exercises off the horse's back & also bareback if that's the case. If the saddle doesn't fit & you think he's sway backed & that's the reason, then yes, a particular pad or shimming may be helpful.
Thank you for your input. I had the vet out yesterday he said my horse isn't swayback he just has higher withers. he just recommended a thicker pad since the one I used before wasn't thick enough.

ps:( I posted this thread before the vet came)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yep, just remember a thick pad will also change the fit of a saddle, may make it too tight over the shoulders or spine.
ok thanks I tried the pad before I bought it its actually really nice for my horse and he seems to be performing better with it so hes more comfortable with this pad.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thank you for your input. I had the vet out yesterday he said my horse isn't swayback he just has higher withers. he just recommended a thicker pad since the one I used before wasn't thick enough.

ps:( I posted this thread before the vet came)
Hello, I'm new to horses and I am currently leasing a pretty big boy who also is high withered. His owner has a cut-back orthopedic pad that she likes for me (and her) to use on him. Seems to do the trick ;)
Good Luck!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.