The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, so I would really like to work on getting my pony strong and flexible again, he is very tight ing the shoulder (trying to buldge out to the left alot) and his lower back is still pretty tight, he is a young green and very very sensitive horse I don't want to just throw him back into work and have him get worked up and his anxiety to come back (he was pretty hyped up and nervous at the first barn) now is lazy and relaxed but don't want to throw him off.

Here is what I plan on working on him with, keep in mind I don't feel he is ready to start cantering yet, not balanced enough or enough energy level to really work on anything besides forward into the canter.

*Transtions, walk halt, halt walk, walk trot and trot to walk
*Figure eights
*Serpentines

Right now that is really all I can think of. In my lesson on Friday my trainer had us start shoulder in and haunches in, this I wasn't getting at all.....neither was Oliver so it w very frustrating, I really felt he wasn't ready for that as his first ride back into real work. I love my trainer and respect h but I think she forgets Oliver is so green.

Maybe if someone on here could really explain both of these things and how to go about correctly doing them, ESP with a green horse. Am I right to think that's to much of an expectation for me to ask of him at this stage? Are there steps to get up to shoulder/hunches in.... So it's not like I'm just hitting him so thing so new and challenging. He just wasn't getting it what so ever, he would do a step or two but I real feel he had no clue what it was he was supposed to do....both at walk and trot.

Any suggestions and advice would be very much appreciated!

Thanks!
:wink:

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
I don't even know haunches in or shoulder in.. those are more advanced lateral movements. Honestly you should be starting leg yields first in my opinion.

I would add circles to your list and keep the sessions short for now :)

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Tha ks, yeah he's getting worked 25 minutes under saddle give or take a few minutes depending on how progressive it goes. He also is getting lunged with side reins before I get on for about 10 minutes each way, he gets a break before I get on, lots of walk and stretching down, then once we go into trot he gets another break before we change directions :) he's taking to it pretty well, no attitude of "aw man I thought I was done when you dropped the reins and let me walk again" he has a really good working attitude, really trying.

If I had hills at my barn I'd add that into our warm up or just hack him out on the hill, but the hill we have is so slight I don't think it would do anything and leads down to the busy road, so I'll stick to the arena and walking around the outside of it! Lol

·
Registered
17,077 Posts
If I had hills at my barn I'd add that into our warm up or just hack him out on the hill, but the hill we have is so slight I don't think it would do anything and leads down to the busy road, so I'll stick to the arena and walking around the outside of it! Lol
I don't have hills either but I use ground poles to my advantage.. just be careful as it can be pretty strenuous.

I think he'll do so great :)

·
Registered
233 Posts
I like LSD work for building muscle and stamina. You don't have to do it for long to see the effects

·
Registered
51,293 Posts
Me too. LSD? not your mother's LSD, I suppose.

Anyway, I think spiral in and out would be good for Ollie.

And riding Squares, you know, trot to the corner, down to a walk and try to do as close to a "pirhoette" around the corner, then see if you can jump to a trot to the next corner. I mean a prompt departure to trot.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I would love to take him out on trails...here's the thing though.....he never been taken out on a trail, no joke it's stupid but the barns he has been at....no trails, it's also winter so rainy and very very muddy! with both those things in the back of my head I think it would be asking for some excitement on the trails. Our training program is moving barns in the next month so cross my fingers there are some trails there, maybe even some hills I can ride on! Lol

Thanks everyone!
Always still open to suggestions and advice!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tiny, very much agree, asking for somthing to happen...somthing scary and bad!

Maybe after we move to the new barn (I guess in north of snohomish) if its at all close to you we could go on a trail ride together!?) I dont have a trailer but would love to get together with you and ride....I know I will be seeingyou at LWSC this spring, just waiting for their dates, my trainer wants us to do the opening classic! :shock:

·
Registered
24 Posts
My horse has been lame at the left shoulder too, we are 4 months into the injury. Which is what brought me to your post.

I am in Michigan so we too have been cold and very wet. Turns and circles are still very difficult for Clark so I havent been riding him in the arena, so he's had some rest time. However... I like the LSD idea...we have a bicycle trail nearby and I recently took him out on it with some friends and he did exceptionally well.
My horse is 7 and he had never seen a trail either. He was always arena ridden. I took him out for the first time mid summer he's pretty high strung on the ground so I was pretty nervous ... but he did awesome with a few other horses...we had it all too cars, trucks, farm equipment, four wheelsers, cows ...dogs...LOL you name it! Nothing seemed to phase him...Maybe you could get someone to go with you.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Sisbarbo-

wow good fopr you for gettingthe courage to do that, I would have peed myself! lol Oliver is only 5 and we are bringing him back from a bad bout of pneumonia :( I am sorry tohear your horse is lame and for so long! Sending postive thoughts your way! (love your horse's name!)

I am waiting to see what our new barn looks like and has, hoping ofr more room to do things!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Thank you very much Supestar! I will be doing the same for you....and when you do get up the courage make sure that you have a good lead horse with you ( a been there done it kind of horse that doesnt spook much) where a helmet and dont push it if it doesnt seem to be going well...follow your gut!

I had Clark (I love his name too...LOL...his registered name is EC Question Mark... so his name used to be Mark... I changed it) anyway I had him at a different barn too and he was way high strung there, so I moved him... he settled in very quickly, (he calmed down alot ) his new place and the people there are amazing!!!!

Wishing you the best!
Sisbarbo

·
Registered
24 Posts
That is crazy! I love the Oliver Twist way too cute.... after interviewing Clark my daughter and I decided that he was the one... I told her... I am not having a horse named Mark so lets figure somethng out that sounds close...we passed a sign on the way home that said "Clark Rd" she said how about Clark mom...I love it instantly.

You may be too young to remember the actor from "Gone With the Wind" his name was Clark Gable...after getting to know Clark over the past several months...he is VERY animated and expressive....just like an academy award winning actor...so it fits him! And he likes it too!!!

Oliver isn't an Arabian / Saddlebred mix is he??? LOL Sounds like these boys have alot in common!

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I LOVE THAT MOVIE! LOL

No Oliver is a sport horse, I was told Dutch WB/TB...there is NO way he is Dutch, just not big enough ehight and bone wise. Our best bet and our vet agrees very strongly with this, that he is Trekahner/TB :) He is a sporty model and hopefully will be my grand prix horse! He has amazing scope, very smart and talents and great movement with the attitude of lets do this! Cant get much better then that with my goals! He is only 15.1 (maybe even just 15.0) but man does he make up for his smaller size with a big heart and enough personalty to fill a 20 stall barn (with him alone in it!)

I am beyond excited to start showing him this spring :) What Does Clark do?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Good for you!

Clark used to be shown on the Arabian Halter circuit, you can actually see him on youtube if you type in EC Question Mark you can see him winning his championships in 2007 as a 3 year old. He has always been with trainers and pretty much been one of many .... he's never really had his own human. He LOVES being a pet!
I bought him for my 12 year old daughter to show 4 H as she is just starting out, and for me to trail ride. As it turns out... we've only had him 9 months and early on when he was at the first barn that we boarded him (2 months) he was indeed crazy and aggressive....we figured out that he wasnt being fed properly so we moved him. Now that he is in a much better facility he has calmed down significantly but my daughter is still a little bit timid around him. So a friend at the barn has a 23 year old mare that has been there done it all and is a great confidence booster .... she offered her to my daughter to show for 4H.
I do most of the handling of Clark and I love him dearly. I have never shown myself and ride primarily western, but I think if his injury improves by the time show season comes around I just might enter some English Pleasure classes at some open shows...see how we do and have some fun!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.