The Horse Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 24-year-old Arabian who has lower ringbone on both front pasterns. The only time it seems to bother him is when he starts a slow jog, and he prefers to go right into a canter to avoid it.

We're on joint supplements and daily Equinox, but I was wondering if hoof boots or wraps would give any relief. Any suggestions?

And he does get daily NSAIDS for pain management and joint/anti-inflammatory supplements. But no matter what, he always shows pain at a trot, but not at a faster trot or a canter.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Less time spent weight bearing at higher speeds. What he is pointing out to you is that some shock absorbing cushion in some form on the bottom of his foot might help. Your options are many and varied. It's sounds to me that you're doing almost everything else available for him.
To answer your original question I seriously doubt that you can help with boots or bandages.

·
Registered
963 Posts
I doubt it. I have a retired Arabian with the same condition. I ride in hilly, rocky country. Not even hoof boots helped. Going downhill was definitely the worst for him. I had to lean way back, to the point I was almost lying on his back, to help him out going downhill. But there was nothing I could do when trotting.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts