The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So im interested in doing something with horses in my future not quite sure yet and i was wondering if this would be a waste of my time?? Of course that wouldn't be my main career i would go back to school to be a vet maybe or something else.

Equine Science Diploma: Olds College

the program details are at the bottom

·
Registered
333 Posts
From what I've heard, Olds has some excellent equine courses. I looked into going there for a little while, but it's too far for me to commute. That's as far as my information goes though. I know that their AHT course is really good, I know some people personally that did well after, but I'm not sure about the other programs.

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
OH HAHA I am going there too! Soon! I am taking production and breeding management equesterian coaching major and Equine Bussiness! Sorry for the crappy spelling.

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
B) Work Experience Hours

All applicants require a minimum of 150 hours of substantiated work experience in an equine related operation other than one owned by immediate family. Club and clinic participation is not considered to be work experience.

You asked if this would be a waste of your time... IMHO the above means yes. If you already have work experience why wouldn't you continue building on that instead of paying for college? I think in most areas of the industry people consider work experience more valuable than schooling. Just my thought.

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
OMG!! haha. Abertans lol. I was actually thinking of going to Olds to when I graduate in 2 1/2 years. Was gonna take equine sciences and possibly breeding.

·
Registered
171 Posts
I'm doing a similar course here in Australia, but the work experience hours are only about thirty. It's a pretty good course.

Because it's a diploma I'm gathering the course isn't particularly long? I know mine runs for six years part time, but it's a Bachelor of Applied Science majoring in Equine Science. Still, it's always good to have a piece of paper to back you up in the long run =)

·
Registered
936 Posts
i think that it is worth it in the long run!! Anything that will make your resume look better when you are applying at places in this economy!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.