The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking for a suitable horse for dressage for over a year now. We finally found a lovely 6 year old mare that was everything I was looking for with a lovely temperament, good conformation and movement.

The horse passed a general vet check including flexion tests but x-rays showed she has a bone chip in one of her front fetlocks (all the other joints were fine). The vet has told us the horse is currently perfectly sound, but that the bone chip could possibly lead to potential issues in the future, although there's also a chance it may not.

She's a very expensive horse and we are now feeling torn about what to do so I'm just wondering what your opinions are?

Would you go ahead and buy your dream horse if it had a bone chip & the seller was asking a fairly high price?

I'd also love to hear from anyone who's had any experience owning a horse that's had a bone chip and any stories of success/failure with surgery or other treatments.

Thanks! :)

·
Registered
4,900 Posts
Have you talked w/the owner about the chip? The knowledge might help to reduce the price, if that is what will help to seal the deal. Would you be happy w/the horse pursuing other types of riding if the dressage was too strenuous?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Cacowgirl
We haven't yet spoken with the owner as we only found out tonight, but that's one option we've been considering as well. I'm really wanting a horse for dressage, so I guess it comes down to whether it's worth taking the risk as even if the owner halves the price it will still be a fairly large amount to spend on a horse that could potentially go lame. It's going to be a hard decision! :)

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Aren't bone chips reasonably inexpensive (as far as the horse world goes) to remove? I thought they were a couple thousand to remove, and as I've seen, most horses come out sound.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.