The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found this ad on Kijiji. I was quite surprised, as I don't know if a 24 year old mare would sell too quickly at $1200. She looks on the thin side to me too. I'm being given an 18 year old mare and she is in real good shape (if anything too chubby!). I know this mare is broke but I really don't think she is worth it. I was just curious what the rest of you think. Not that I'm going to buy this mare or anything - but I'm just curious how much you would pay for a horse this old.

Well broke TB mare - Edmonton Livestock For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
People may disagree, and that's fine... BUT,
I see it all the time and wouldn't even consider it!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,075 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thats the way I feel too. One really does not know how long that horse is going to live and what kind of health problems she may develop. I don't know of many people who even would get a 24 year old horse, much less pay $1200 for it.

·
Registered
434 Posts
I've seen ads for older horses that were skilled at a specific discipline and advertised as good at teaching that discipline to it's riders. They were priced way over what I would think you could get for an older horse. I don't know if that would be worth it to someone who shows or competes since I don't compete.

For the mare in that specific ad the OP linked to I think they are dreaming asking for 1200. They'll be lucky to get 500.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
After seeing what I did at the auction last Saturday, that price is absurd but there may be a reason for it. It may be there hoping to ward off the killer buyers. The thinking being, if the price is too high, the killers will just pass over it and if a regular buyer calls on it, then the price becomes more realistic.

I don't believe the killers will bother trying to negotiate a price from such a starting point. There are many many horses that can be had for less then half that figure.

On the other hand, of course, the sellers may just be unrealistic.

·
Registered
5,471 Posts
This horse perhaps no.

But I would never rule out paying good money for a safe mount for a green or younger rider.

24 isn't old anymore. Just very mature.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
If she is a good safe horse she is well worth it. How much does an emergency room visit cost? How much is a young riders safety worth? I think there are alot of people (some on this forum) that should have started out on a nice old mare like this.

·
Registered
13,166 Posts
While I agree with Kevin that many people on the forum could benefit from a horse like this, and that age should not be an overwhelming obstacle, I think the price - for my area at least - is rather high.

You can put a price on safety and it has to do with what the market in your area brings. Although a 24 year old horse may still have plenty of life in her, it will require different care then a 10 year old horse does and based on the pictures of the horse taken before winter, the horse is underweight.

I may be jaded due to the prices of horses in the south and the north east, but I can buy all the 10 - 15 year old, child safe horses that you may need for well under the asking price of that particular horse. I saw a few at the auction last Saturday (by dealers/owners that I know and trust) that would fit the bill for under $500, and these were registered QHs. Unregistered were under $250 and some were well under that.

·
Super Moderator
26,794 Posts
I don't see anywhere that it says she's lame. I would pay that for something for my child to ride. Safe is worth $1200 to me.

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I found this ad on Kijiji. I was quite surprised, as I don't know if a 24 year old mare would sell too quickly at $1200. She looks on the thin side to me too. I'm being given an 18 year old mare and she is in real good shape (if anything too chubby!). I know this mare is broke but I really don't think she is worth it. I was just curious what the rest of you think. Not that I'm going to buy this mare or anything - but I'm just curious how much you would pay for a horse this old.

Well broke TB mare - Edmonton Livestock For Sale - Kijiji Edmonton
It's a tough call, I would have to look at her. I totally see where you're coming from and I have to agree it's on the high side; having said that tho, a horse that is child safe and can actually be used for very beginner, whinny children, would be worth her weight in gold.

To be honest, if she were healthy and was everything described in the ad, I would be willing to pay what they are asking(after of course starting off a little lower).

·
Registered
4,260 Posts
If I could find a horse in my area that was child safe and that age I'd probably dish out $1200 for it. I don't know about that horse. Looks like something that may be hard to keep weight on. She may end up eating more on a special diet than a younger well broke horse does.

·
Registered
8,466 Posts
It would depend to me on what she could do. But my initial reaction would be no.

·
Registered
3,918 Posts
There's a 25yr old for sale for $1500 in my area. If my husband wasn't out of work, I'd love her for my girls. I know her and I KNOW she's healthy and about as bombproof and child-safe as you are going to get. I'd offer less than $1500 but I'm sure the final price would be over $1,000.

Sometimes it's better to pay more for what you are sure about than take a gamble and pay less for one that you don't know as much about.

·
Registered
73 Posts
My horse is a 26 year old TB and he's such a wonderful horse to learn on. He is so absolutely been thee, done that, that nothing phases him. After having him, I would pay that again in the future.

·
Banned
12,825 Posts
I can not find the ad the OP linked to so I can not comment on this specific mare.
To me $1200 is pretty cheap for a safe, sound and dependable mount. So what if she takes extra care because she is older. Having a good horse that a new rider can be safe on is worth every penny.

Not saying they will get it, just saying to me the price is not crazy.

·
Registered
100 Posts
for her maybe not that. but another more in shape horse that age probably. My gelding is 19 and still running 2D barrel times. It all depends on how well it was taken care of too. The feed, vaccinations, supplements, joint care, and also how broke the animal is. Safety is always first, no matter what age of person

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
I think I agree with most when I say I'd pay $1200 for 24 year old horse. Maybe not THAT mare, but for an accomplished show mare, who's got great foals and a great mind for teaching youngers the ropes of showing and who may still produce? I'd look at anywhere from $1200-$2000.

·
Registered
1,157 Posts
All i have to say is good luck to whos selling her!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
I can not find the ad the OP linked to so I can not comment on this specific mare.
To me $1200 is pretty cheap for a safe, sound and dependable mount. So what if she takes extra care because she is older. Having a good horse that a new rider can be safe on is worth every penny.
I have to agree here. Providing that she could pass a vet check. I am just kinda going from what everyone else has mentioned because the ad has been removed, but if I were looking for a safe horse that a child could learn to ride on or an older, timid rider could comfortably ride, then an older horse that has been everywhere and done pretty much everything would be worth their weight in gold. There is really no telling why she is on the thin side; she may be getting lower quality feed or she may have not been wormed in a while. These days, there are more and more horses who are living and performing longer, some into their 30s. IMHO, a horse like this that a child could grow and build their confidence on would be perfect because then as the child grows up and becomes more adventurous, they will be comfortable moving up to a younger horse. They never had their confidence shattered by a horse that spooked and dumped them or was feeling frisky and bucked with them.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.