The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For a couple years our Holsteiner mare I give a little grain (senior +beet pulp pellets), couple peppermint treats,couple flakes good hay.
The new Tennessee Walker "Chief" gelding grazes with her all day, I get them up as usual before dark...same routine. I close them in a paddock at night...stalls open.
Tonight I open new sack beet pulp, half scoop each feed bucket.
All of a sudden he starts choking. Luckily our vet not too far away. I could feel a lump in his esophagus, lower neck.
Vet just left. Four hours of a tube down nose, I'm working pump, bucket warm water.
He seems fine now. They're in stalls for the night.
What an ordeal! From now on I'll soak beet pulp warm water into mush. I'm thinking he had never had any so he ate way too fast.

Sent from my SM-S205DL using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
26,373 Posts
My older one choked a few times. Scary stuff. Don't be shocked if he doesn't loose a little weight or not eat like normal for a day or two. Especially after tubing. Those older ones - they know how to stress you out!

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
I always soak my beet pulp over night, especially the pellets. The shreds soak up quicker but are significantly more expensive. Put some rocks in the bottom of the feed bowl, it'll help slow him down some. Also know that if he's choked once he's at a much higher risk to do it again. I think choke is one of the scariest things to see.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Choking is scary within the span of about a month there’s been three choking scares, all were with older horses, the first two were with a 27 year old mare that was staying at our place while my cousin built a barn and pasture for her. Doc choked on Tuesday so scary.

·
Registered
14,172 Posts
I'm the first to admit my knowledge of horse feeding is not great, but I thought beet pulp was ALWAYS soaked before being fed? I've never heard of anyone feeding it dry.
Some people feel that since you don't soak other pelleted feeds, like alfalfa pellets, that you shouldn't need to soak beet pulp either. I have been using beet pulp for my whole life and never had a choke on it, but I always soak over night. Some directions say to soak for 1 hour. IMO, that's not enough. Pellets, especially, soak up 3X their weight and disintegrate in the bucket. In 1 hr. I find they don't soak up enough and don't disintegrate totally. I've seen the same problem with cubes, had a couple choke repeatedly on them because I hadn't soaked them long enough. If I'm forced to use cubes, I soak them overnight too.

·
Registered
2,424 Posts
If you use hot water to soak it cuts down on soaking time. I fed alfalfa cubes last winter. Used hot water to soak and they were all falling apart after 45 minutes to an hour.

Beet pulp pellets an shreds are notorious for causing choke if fed dry. My horses won't touch the stuff.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Remi, holsteiner, has been fed beet pulp, usually I give heaping handful and she chews it up no problem. Chief I'm guessing never had it and wolfed it down. Veterinarian came quickly and I could feel knot. I tried gently massaging it down.
We worked on him four hours.
Of course now I'll use hot water waiting a few hours letting it get mushy from now of.
Vet is really good and we're lucky. She said nature wasn't kind to horses designing their digestive system.

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
Yeah beet pulp scares me. After seeing how much it expands in just a bucket that convinced me enough. I always wet down feed for any horse now if not soaking. The worst case of choke I've seen was when I volunteered at a yard a few years ago. I love bananas and offered a skin to one of the owners for her horse as a treat to see if he even had a taste for it. I mean take a bit off right? She gave him the WHOLE THING! He was beside himself and swallowed it without properly chewing. I remember us standing there and waiting... and waiting... and then he grunted and yellow banana scented foam started to come out his nose. He managed to get it down before the vet came who commented on how it was at least "just" a banana skin... I guess it depends on the horse too. There are some gannets that I'd never trust to chew a substantial treat properly or eat dry.

Am very glad things worked out for you and hope you have an easier time henceforth xx

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
I, too, have fed beet pulp for MANY years to endurance horses......I would N. E. V. E. R. feed it uNsoaked.
But year before last, I fed some to my sweet Gavotte, Very Well Soaked, less than 2 measuring cup’s worth, and went to turn out, and she was choking. Took 2 hours to get a vet out, and then 3 hours to clear the choke! It was 2 AM when she left, and I left the mess on the concrete barn aisle.
The next morning, that stuff had tripled AGAIN is size and area. It was scary.
Beet Pulp will never cross the threshold of my barn again.

·
Registered
7,324 Posts
People who want to feed beet pulp might look into SpeediBeet: more here. It's an extruded flake, and I still soak it well in hot water, but it soaks and expands fast and the horses love it. I swirl it around with some powdered supplements and ration balancer, and it is a great texture that they take their time eating. * knock on wood *

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks. Yes now it gets soaked a few hours, just a handful, then I'll feed just a little...wait...repeat.
I spoke with an old timer horse fellow this morning who said he would pour a coke bottle of warm water down horses ear to dislodge an obstruction.
I consider myself lucky genetically except my esophagus. I take Omeprazole daily for gerd, all on Dad's side had that problem. I get choked easily.

·
Registered
9,314 Posts
WHAT??? I would advise you not to take that old timer's advice. I'm an old timer too and have not only never heard that one but have always been told not to get soap, water, etc... into their ears because they can't drain them.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
WHAT??? I would advise you not to take that old timer's advice. I'm an old timer too and have not only never heard that one but have always been told not to get soap, water, etc... into their ears because they can't drain them.
Thanks. I'm 13 with an 80 I.Q. so that helps

·
Super Moderator
16,045 Posts
Choke is frightening. I learned something about it at a sales.

I had taken a filly to be sold, these were big sales for jump racers. Usually I drove the horses there but this occasion we went with a transporter. It was a long trip and unbeknownst to me someone had removed the filly's wet haynet.
As I led her into the stable so she grabbed a mouthful of straw and this caused her to choke.
The vet was reluctant to give her anything because many people wanted a blood test. She got pretty bad until she had saliva foaming out her mouth and nostrils. I was waiting for the vet to return when an Irishman saw her.
He told me to bring her to where there was a hose. He stuffed the hose into her mouth, a friend of his held a kink in the hose with the water on and then let the water flow full force. Filly threw her head up, swallowed and that was it. The choke was cleared.

I was taught that you never fed grain without dampening it. Not a soggy mass but damp enough to feel it.

In all the years with horses I have only ever had three choke. First was with beet pellets fed dry, second was when a livery fed her horse dry bran and the third above. I always soaked sugar beet.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
The horses ears do not drain down the throat. Pouring anything in the ear canal especially something acidic could cause major damage. Unfortunately my mare Tillie has had a few choke incidents - not because of beet pulp - but because she ate too fast. They can develop a pocket where the impaction was so be careful about feeding anything too bulky for awhile. I feed soaked beet pulp daily year round to 4 horses. Always soaked - my horses like it and it helps my borderline IR horse keep her blood sugar more stable.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts