The Horse Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16,205 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Is it seriously worth $20 though?? I've never experienced any kind of trouble with a regular $1-2 pick ? Maybe that's just me though.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
I bought mine on sale...get the smaller version fits the hands much better. I will say for someone with a bad back this hoofpick is helpful. I have constant back pain and this pick helps me cut down on the amount of time Im bent over.

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
Is it seriously worth $20 though?? I've never experienced any kind of trouble with a regular $1-2 pick ? Maybe that's just me though.
Posted via Mobile Device
That's what I was thinking. We use Oster hoof picks we bought from Fleet Farm. We've had them for almost 6 years, how long we've had horses, and never had one break or bend. They're less than $5. There are some others that I don't care for but I've never had even a cheap one bend or break.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
Mine are just the regular old pic with the single bend of metal forming a loop for the handle. Paid maybe 75c for it 30 yrs ago. It's picked out many hooves and still works well. Easily shoved in a back pocket in jeans if needed on the trail. The angle of the pic isn't a good angle, it should be closer to a 90* angle with the handle.

·
Registered
4,766 Posts
I like this one for my pocket/saddle bag.
But use the .99 cent one at the trailer, and barn. If I have to buy a new one every year I still have a $20 year supply. If it was so ultimate it would fold up so you could carry it.

·
Registered
366 Posts
I have a couple of them. The larger yellow/black one for $14 shipped or the smaller pink for $12 shipped. They have been used (by me!) but I have a bunch of them so if you need one I've got it. (this is for the original poster - not you Negative Nellys :wink:!)

If you have a bad back (sharp useful edges, ergonomic shape) or arthritis in your hands (easy to grip, doesn't slip), lots of ice and snow and mud build up in your horse's hooves and need to get it out NOW - well, if you had one of these Ultimate hoof picks, you'd totally understand.

When I used to travel more and go to more events & Tack sales and would set them out for people to handle, they would sell themselves.

Plus it truly is unbreakable, unbendable, brightly colored so you can find it easily and if anything were to go wrong with it - the company will replace it.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts

·
Registered
17,293 Posts
GoldenHorse, I use an extra large screwdriver with the phillips head. I shove it in by the heel and lever the handle and the big ice ball pops off leaving a clean sole. I found the screwdriver and that's even better.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.