The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I worked my yearling gelding, Spidey yesterday, then brushed him down and put him in his stall for the night.

Came out at ten pm to blanket and shut off the barn lights and found his face swollen on one side, very hot and hard and painful for him. Rinsed out his mouth and hosed his face for 15 minutes.

Called the vet out this morning, he found his teeth very sharp and hooked outward, causing him to shred the inside of his mouth - he has a two inch long gash inside and this finally caused the outward swelling. Also found an incisor tooth missing and a wolf tooth coming in - odd because I bought him 3 months ago and his previous vet had supposedly pulled his wolf teeth when he was gelded.

Spidey is now on bute and antibiotics and we'll flush out his mouth for the next week while he tries to heal. I have never seen anything like this caused by a yearlings teeth so thought I would post.

Vet was amazed he was so good natured in his training given the damage in his mouth - his teeth are now floated so once he heals he should be a happy camper.

Last picture is day before he swelled up.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks All - I am tickled with him - he's NSBA, Breeders Trust, and will be showing at the APHA World Show in the Silver Breeders Futurity In-Hand Trail - he's had a late start ... been hanging out in a pasture until 3 months ago when I brought him home - he's been in boot camp. His daddy is 16.1, so hoping for some size on him ... I am 5'8 for comparison. I had never seen this type of swelling - thought for sure he had oats or hay stuck in his mouth - was shocked when the vet said it was his teeth....

I have never floated a yearlings teeth before - did Daisy's as a three year old, but that's the earliest I thought they needed floating. Live and Learn.

His registered name is Peter Parker. I first thought it was a spider bite and was hoping he would develop spider senses.... hehehe.

·
Banned
3,880 Posts
I've seen this kind of thing quite a bit. When I worked at the track the youngsters would get very sharp very quick due to all the hard feed, swollen faces, inside of the cheek sliced up. Of course their teeth were floated regularly, however you will get the odd one that comes in late and misses the schedule or just an anomaly that sharpens and hooks up fast. He should heal up just fine, and the cheek is one of the fastest things to heal because of the saliva in the mouth.

Reactions: Elana

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You are right, Muppetgirl, he is healing very quickly- the swelling is lessening rapidly.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts
I've been told that when they're that young they need to be floated more often since their teeth are growing so fast. Then as they get older (teens-20s) they begin to need floating less.

·
Registered
7,414 Posts
He is SO pretty!! Sorry you are having to do all this to him.

You should show him in Color at Pinto Shows. He looks just like my stallion, Spirit, and he did really well when we were showing him. Spirit is short, so we didn't win any halter classes, but he is well built, so we placed.

Nancy

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
Poor guy, the second I saw the photos I knew it was his teeth. There was a stallion who presented the same way at the old barn I boarded at. Hope everything turns out well for him, he's quite the flashy guy!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.