The Horse Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello. I have been googling until I'm blue in the face and asking everyone I can think of about this and have many opinions and could be this or that but nothing solid. Perhaps someone here can help.
Three of my horses (all feathered Gypsys) have this yellow ness in their feather. The older girls had it in their manes too but a touch of MTG cleared that right up. The feet however are making me bananas. I can't figure out what's up!! They aren't bothered at all by it, but the skin looks kindof dry and flakey in addition to being yellow. The ergots pretty much crumbled in my hand when I put on some MTG.
Some say ivermectin 10 days apart three times. Some say it will go away on its own. One said maybe missing something in their diets as all 3 Gypsys have it and my lone Arabian has a slight yellow tinge on one foot.
My vet had nothing to suggest.
I'm so frustrated. A cut would've been easier to deal with because then I would know what the problem is and how to deal with it!!

Attachments

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
I don't see anything that would worry me. It looks like hair that has been discolored due to dirt. And the skin looks pink to both my husband and I, just that maybe the skin is getting tinted looking from the nearby hair. And the hair being feathers is going to get yellow tinted due to location- dirt, manure, urine...
It just seems to me the feathers are a bad place to look at and expect the skin to look perfectly clean and pink.
If you are truly worried, I would maybe to an ACV/tea tree oil rinse, as that is good for anything that ails them, and ACV is a great clarifier of hair and skin.

Maybe the ergots crumbing were parts that would have come off anyhow, but you helped the dead tissue get unstuck? (An aside: my mare is allergic to MTG and her skin blisters and peels from it, along with her hair falling out. Could your horse be having a milder reaction?)
I am no expert, but looking at it, if it were my horse, I wouldn't think anything about it.
Good luck. :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts