The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I'm retraining my gelding to do some things. He knows the basics w/t/l back etc. I was wondering how everyone trains to yield the hindquarters from the saddle? He'll do it from the ground. Thanks!

·
Registered
3,459 Posts
What I do is use the stirrup while on the ground to make it easier for them to understand. Hold the stirrup in your hand nearest the front of the horse. If and when the horse doesn't respond, use your other hand (holding a crop if needed) to cue the horse to move over. Always use just the stirrup first and wait for a response before using your other hand.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
80 Posts
my trainer helped me. I got on him, put leg on him and she helped move him over if he didn't get it right off. Didn't take long at all since he had done it on the ground so many times. then she'd do less and less until he was doing it on his own. Today I did it without any help and he moved over just grand.

·
Registered
804 Posts
In hand first, bend the horse lightly, and then touch with the hand (a whip) where the leg would touch. Bend/touch/bend/touch.

Then mounted, start to position lightly, and touch when the leg (heel down/calf touching). Each step is separate. It is about the easiest of exercises to teach.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.