The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just have to relate a story or two.

We have a good friend here locally. [Actually, he is one of husband's coffee shop buddies.] He is a semi-retired small-time trader -- mostly of ponies and small mules but sometime big ones and about any other kind of 'junk' cheap horses, mules, burros and rescues he can find. He gets a lot of really thin ones off of Craigs List, deworms them, fattens them up, rides them if that is possible and takes them to a sale somewhere.

He gets husband to go with him once in a while and DH goes to his place often and tells me about what wretched creatures he has picked up recently.

He went with us to an auction a while back (I was looking for a big, older trail string prospect) and he bought an emaciated pony for $15.00. I was afraid it would die in our trailer on the way home so I made them put it in the front compartment. If it died, it would not block the horse I bought from getting out. That was 3 weeks ago and the poor little thing looks pretty good now.

Well, last year he bought a really nice big draft mule off of Craigs List. [Nicest thing I have seen him get.] He got her from a guy that had let her run for 2 years with a black stud horse wanting a big 1/2 mule colt for a trail horse. He explained that an 'all mule' was too difficult to train so he wanted a 1/2 mule. Obviously he got NO kind of mule. He was willing to sell this nice, big pretty mule for cheap since she obviously was not a good 'breeder'. You can't make stuff like this up. I don't how he kept a straight face.

That just could not happen twice --- could it? Well, last Saturday he bought an un-castrated 8 or 10 year old mule. He was pretty rank and barely halter-broke. The guy threw in several pony mares because he had been breeding them for several years and just has not had any colts born, so, he was getting rid of the whole bunch. He was tired of the feed bill. He said the mule was 'doing his job good' but either he or the mares were not good breeders. I asked him if he told the guy why his ponies did not have babies. He said "No, you can't fix stupid. I just loaded them up and brought them home."

He has dewormed them all, borrowed my emasculators to cut the mule and has them all broke to tie and lead.

It sure makes for good coffee shop conversation. Everyone always asks him what new stock he has in. It is like the best live show in town to go to his place.

·
Registered
2,664 Posts
Oh god. That's almost as good as a girl I worked with telling me, proudly, that she'd ridden a horse that was "half stallion". It took everything I had to just nod and say "Well, technically they're ALL half-stallion..."

I do see the "half mule" thing occasionally in rescue circles. It's always good for a chuckle.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
When someone goes out and buys the cheapest crap on Craigs List -- well, you never know what he is going to go home with. He's picked up llamas, sheep, goats, pigs, and a bunch of burros, but he likes mules best. It's like a circus comes to town every day.

He has also been known to go to yard sales and flea markets and picks up junk and critters. Somehow, he gets them all sold and makes money on most of them. He cleared a $1000.00 on the big draft mule. He cleaned her all up, gave her a haircut (nothing looks worse than a big mule with its mane flopping over both ways), found out she was broke to drive and a guy drove from Missouri to get her and was tickled to death with her.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
When someone goes out and buys the cheapest crap on Craigs List -- well, you never know what he is going to go home with. He's picked up llamas, sheep, goats, pigs, and a bunch of burros, but he likes mules best. It's like a circus comes to town every day.
The fellow I worked for as a teenager was always buying and selling horses and cattle. I stayed there all week, and my parents would pick me up Saturday evening and bring me back Sunday evening.. One weekend, unbeknownst to me, he had swooped in when a small zoo lost it's lease. I came back to find a mountain lion in a big rabbit hutch out front. Monday morning, when I went to feed the stalled horses, a llama stuck its head out and spit at me. When I walked down to the field where our horses were kept, I noticed too many animals in there. He had turned out 3 camels with them.

Everything was gone by the next weekend. The guy kept his finances close to his vest, so I don't know if he made or lost money on the deal.

·
Registered
6,024 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sounds like this guy. He would never have passed up a deal like that.

He has probably 'rescued' more animals than any 501.3c rescue. There is no telling how many emaciated animals he has 'saved' and sold them all for a profit. He has never called it that. He just says something like "Well, I gotta go hook up the trailer. There's a couple of mules down at such and such place that need a new Zip Code. Wanta come with me for the ride?"

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
See I don't know why people get huffy when you say that are not a rescue, they are a flipper, just what this guy is, and there is nothing wrong with it.

Guy I worked for many years ago did the same with livestock, he would buy at the bottom end of the market, take the beasts home, feed them well, then importantly regroup them and put them back to the auction a couple of weeks later. Funny how some good food, and sending them in a matching bunch made a difference to the price.

He also used to disappear with my husband, they would take the truck and leave after supper for some local farm or other, then arrive back in the early hours with something, cows, sheep, goats, ponies, anything he thought he could turn a profit on.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Welllll I have a similar one, funny that this was in Oklahoma too! My current riding molly was advertised on the Oklahoma City CL and I drove from KS to have a look see.

The gal was selling her because they had a standard jack on their lagoon and were so afraid that this molly would get pregnant. They were separated but the gal knew that the jack would bust through eventually.

I was thrilled that this molly was exactly what I had been looking for.

·
Registered
876 Posts
Animal flippers are the ones who haggle to a cheap price of good, quality animals and then turns around and sells them for a profit, either while taking fair care of them or not giving a darn about it other than making that dollar.

Buying already cheap (or pricey) and crappy animals, then feeding them and giving them some manners and vetting, then selling them is not flipping as most people see it. I wouldn't call it flipping but just someone who cares and fixes them, then rehomes them.

I've bought countless rabbits, ones that were supposed to be worth something and in good health. But when I got there, they were all starved, dying, injured, etc. I can't leave them there with the nutcases...So I loose out money, time and space, to fix them. Most survive, recover and end up being petted out as they were no good for what I needed them for.

But I can sleep at night knowing I tried to help them. An animal flipper doesn't care.

My Pinto mini was supposed to be just a normal horse buy, but when I got there, she had bad feet, bad hair, eating trash and had no idea she was a horse and what horse food was (hay, grass, pellet feed.) I couldn't leave her there and risk her being bought by someone who would just breed her for a few dollars nor could I leave her there to keep eating junk and having bad feet. I just wanted a companion mini, even in that state she could be a buddy, so I kept her and she's turned into a great horse, though, she can be a little bit of a demon some days...haha.

·
Registered
15,433 Posts
An animal flipper doesn't care.
REALLY, that is by your definition, and maybe by your experience, but the flippers I have met do care, they care about making a profit, and they care about the horses, the two are not mutually exclusive....an upgrade is an upgrade...

·
Registered
14,153 Posts
I admire you & your husband's fortitude not to say anything. I would have been bursting at the seams!

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
A know a guy just like that. Yesterday he trots in from a public road with some serious traffic on a two year old he started breaking on Sunday. No saddle, just a burlap sack. No bit, just a head collar. Amazing what he achieved in three days. The little mare is trotting nicely, in a straight line, no spooking, or any other issues.

·
Registered
6,853 Posts
Does a half mule make a Quarter Horse? It gets sort of confusing. :lol:

You know what's interesting, is that I was reading about "Quaggas" the other day, and apparently the offspring between a Quagga and a horse can also be bred back to a horse and produce offspring. For some reason, I assumed a horse/Quagga hybrid would be sterile like a mule, but I guess not. Wish I could find where I read that........

Oh, it's from Wikipedia.......am I allowed to quote from there?

Lord Morton tried to save the animal from extinction by starting a captive breeding program. He was only able to obtain a single male which, in desperation, he bred with a female horse. This produced a female hybrid with zebra stripes on its back and legs. Lord Morton's mare was sold and was subsequently bred with a black stallion, resulting in offspring that again had zebra stripes. An account of this was published in 1820 by the Royal Society.[33]

The entire article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quagga

Well, I guess I'm getting off-topic. But the whole "half-mule" thing reminded me of the Quagga article. :rolleyes:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts