The Horse Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Although I am a retired farrier I still do a lot of consulting for vets and other farriers. Here is one that blew me away... 4 month old filly lost her entire hoof capsule. We came with a treatment plan using sterile casting but the vet discovered a severe infection of the 3rd phalanx to the point it was nearly dissolved.

Automotive tire Grass Natural material Thumb Wood
Plant Jaw Monkfish Automotive tire Grass

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
That’s awful. I had a mare do something similar from a very bad internal eruption of pigeon fever. Her fever was so high that her hoof capsule just deteriorated I had assumed. She did live, and she did come back sound. (Well, as sound as she could be with a prior injury.)

·
Registered
6,442 Posts
Although I am a retired farrier I still do a lot of consulting for vets and other farriers. Here is one that blew me away... 4 month old filly lost her entire hoof capsule. We came with a treatment plan using sterile casting but the vet discovered a severe infection of the 3rd phalanx to the point it was nearly dissolved.

View attachment 1117727 View attachment 1117728
How awful. That is pretty gross. Poor thing must have been in so much pain.

·
Registered
15,012 Posts
That did blow me away!

Reactions: Kalraii

·
Registered
Elle, 1997 Oldenburg mare
2,313 Posts
Wow, that is one gnarly looking hoof for a four month old. The three month old at my boarding barn still has tiny, exquisitely perfect feet. That poor thing!

·
Registered
106 Posts
When I went to shoeing school the instructor spoke of a case like this with a draft. They had him well in the way to growing a new foot when he got down in his tie stall and hung himself. It is amazing what they can get through and ways they can find to do themselves in.

·
Registered
Retired breeder
764 Posts
If the filly was mine, I would put her down. Before the collective gasps hit, let me tell you why.

Years ago, there was a paint cutting horse in our area. The "trainer" had put him in a pen next to a stud, and the pen had those curved corners on the panels. The gelding struck, got a foot hung up in the curves, and yanked the shell of the hoof off.
We didn't see him for quite some time, figured he'd been put down. But they didn't.
He'd been nerved from the knee down. Grown a new hoof. They were cutting on him, but it sure would have made me nervous. He was strange to watch even at a walk! You could see (easily) he felt nothing from the knee down. He'd put that foot out there, and it would hover a bit before he set it down. He just didnt' have the joy in it that he had before.
I would not have wanted to ride him, let alone cut on him.

For what it's worth, it would have been kinder to just have put him down.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
If the filly was mine, I would put her down. Before the collective gasps hit, let me tell you why.
I would truly hope that any horse owner that understands the severity of this injury would put their animal down. I believe Fallon Taylor's stud did something very similar many years ago but he kicked a wire fence and caught his shoe...I'm should you could imagine what happened next.

Reactions: Zimalia22

·
Registered
27 Posts

View attachment 1117727 View attachment 1117728
I have a little story to add to this topic. When I was 14 yrs old (I'm 67 now), I went to beg an Arabian horse barn to allow me to clean stalls and groom horses..for free of course. The lady told me I was too little but she had a 1-yr-old colt who could use my love and attention.
You see, he had been born on a manure pile and had contracted an infection which caused him to loose all his coat hair but worse than that, he had sloughed off ALL four hoof capsules. He was pitiful and stood in a stall which was kept flooded with ice. Soon after meeting him, he was able to come into a dry stall. The owner was working with a farrier and had found a vet who agreed to work with her but, he advised her to have the colt put down.
The vet said the colt's feet would never fully recover and his growth would be stunted, so he would never be able to be ridden.
Eventually, Ohio State had agreed to try and put some sort of artificial hoof on him (I was young and not really included in any of the details) but the owner, for whatever reason, declined and kept on with the treatment she, her farrier and vet had agreed upon.
I went everyday, groomed him, sat with him in his stall for hours and just "loved him" as the owner had asked.

On my 16th birthday....the colt, Calidan Ibn Rey, a reg. 3/4 Arabian Stallion who grew to 15.3 H. was gifted to me by the owner who went on to teach "me" to teach him how to be a horse.
(He was gelded at 3 yr old.)

He and I went on to win Championships in Reg. Part-Arabian Western Pleasure, English Pleasure and Park Horse. We rode miles and miles of trails and he was the love of my life.

Things weren't asways perfect....he was sensitive to vaccinations and foundered badly, twice but recovered. By 8 yrs old he was retired and only ridden lightly until his natural death at 21 yrs.

His was a life that had value and many, many years of love and happiness.

This is NOT to judge what anyone else might do in such heart-wrenching and expensive journey with an animal when there are so many other fully healthy horses in need of good homes. I totally understand and agree with this mindset and do NOT find it offensive or bad.
I ONLY add this to say that "if" you find yourself in this situation and if "YOU", for whatever reason cannot let the animal go without giving him/her a chance....don't let anyone talk you out of it. It takes time, lots of money, and God's hand, but it can have a good outcome...I know because I've lived it.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts