The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys. As some if not most most know I went to the breeding seminar or clinic and got my certification. Anyways, you'd never guess what I get a txt from my grandma about.........we don't really know what to do. It technically doesn't have anything to do with breeding but I just came back from Ohio less than an hour ago so hey why not. Try to guess. ill have an answer in a little bit when my cell gets on the charger :) have fun!!!!
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Well, I got a tXt that my grandma found a bay pony gelding in one of our pens!! We don't know who it belongs to and we've never seen him around and we have horsey neighbors! I'm just about possitive he belongs to a neighbor. Not sure if he jumped into the pen with one stud and a gelding or was lead in. Only evidence is he has a nice halter and two of my strands are busted. I almost thought they were cut. Tomorrow's another day to look at it. Odd part about this whole thing is he isn't hurt nor is there a,y lamness or swelling to prove jumping. He's a really small pony to jump m fence without messing the top two or three strands. Word of thought. We have a roun bale outside this pen....why would this pony jump into the pen with this round bale out in the open?? What do ou guys think? Abandoned or just a runaway?
He seems to be really nice and let's you pet him but know nothing about him. Our young stallion and gelding showed him where the water is, where the grain usually is fed and the hay area. Btw we use a pitch fork to put hay in there. The bale isn't close enough for them to reach so no confusion there. We're wanting to call around and put an ad out there and if no one calls we might end up keeping him.

·
Registered
223 Posts
lmfao we have a hot fence breaker who crawls under them. It could be what the pony did. Also, don't underestimate ponies, just because a lot of the "american" ponies can't jump worth a crap doesn't mean that all ponies can't. I've seen medium's jumping around solidly at 3'6"-3'9" and the occasional small rocking and rolling around a course over their heads. I'm pretty sure most horses could jump a 5' fence if it only one and probably wouldn't hurt themselves doing it.

IF it jumped in, it probably did so because horses are herd animals and want to be safe and close to other horses. So even if the round bale was on the outside, your horses were on the inside. It wanted friends.

·
Registered
1,725 Posts
he could of been taken for another barn and the thieves got scarred of getting court and dump him in your field I would call the police and see if there is a report

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Might be but the space inbetween the fence wire would be impossible in my eyes but then I am exhausted lol. The pony is probably as high as 13h. Really small. Maybe 12h. Idk. Compared to the stud whom it made buddies with, the stud is 14.1h I'm guessing maybe 14.2 and a half. I don't own a measuring stick lol. I just used him in comparison. I haven't handled him. Grandma says he was starving????? But the pony is like a medium weight I'm guessing. I was out with the truck's headlights. Lol. Going to make sure its gelded which I'm sure it is like my grandma thought but just. Don't know. I was more focused on the fence damage and whether the horses and pony were hurt. :) so. I think I've had an eventful day after elarning how to collect a stud. With prep and actual handling plus I now know how to artifical inseminate a mare now!!! And when to ai too. Just when I thought my job was done!!! :p
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Btw guys its the top strands there were busted. Its like a near min of five foot above my shoulder. I don't see how he could of. O thought one of the wires were cut but it doesn't make sense. Maybe its busted off. I got. A lot of fence fixing when I get up tomorrow.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ill get pictures of the fence (maybe) tomorrow. I just want it functioning again. We just fixed it before winter now we get a stray pony which I'm not one hundred percent sure what breed he is. I think quarter but idk I'm too tired to think. He's a cutie
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
672 Posts
Do not be suprised if he didnt clear jump it. I have a 37" mini who has cleared 45" fences...

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Idk. Its just one of a million ideas. Its overwelming. Plus my gate was hooked wrong? I don't remember locking my gate looser? Last time I messed with it was before winter when I drove the truck into the pasture lol......maybe I'm paranoid from exhaustion lol
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
3,583 Posts
That is strange. I know of someone that randomly ended up with a mule in their pasture one day. They put up flyers, made lots of phone calls, etc, but no one claimed the gelded mule. All they figured is that someone decided to get rid of it for whatever reason, and saw their pasture full of healthy, well fed horses and added their mule to the group.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Well just in this little paster, I can guarantee these boys are well fed. Ask my purse/wallet! They'll give you the answer LOL all my horses are well fed and taken care of. I spend more on them more than my shopping sprees lol. Not complaining just pushing a statement :)
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
My first thought was that the owners couldn't feed or afford him and decided to "re home" at your place. Let us know how this turns out, very curious situation.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Yeah. That was another thing that's a wonder. I've never had this happen before so I'm having to readjust from this whole weekend.
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If my computer was working I'd show pictures. He's got a star that looks like Indian cheif head..a hamhock??? Then a broken stripe and snip. In all it looks like an indian head cheif with his warrior hat of feather..can't remember the name of it. Thought it was a hamhock and the half stripe and snipe resemble a smoke signal. A smoke signal and a cheif head with a headdress? Its been a while since I looked indian eqipment. No other white. I'm very convinced he is a purebred welsh with possible papers. Or half? Idk what to say otherwise.....my uncles wife said she seen this pony loose two weeks ago eating in the ditches about 10 miles from us. We didn't know about it till today from what they just told us.....
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Newest update.

We have called local athorities and surrounding sherrif departments asking if anyone has filed for a missing pony. All have said no and we have to put him in the papers for surround areas, take pictures of all four sides, keep pictures but show to newspapers, and save news paper clips forever and the owners have three days to claim him, if not being today sherrif said is day one, we automatically own him. They are calling animal control to see anyone called in a missing pony. So far no. Oh and everyone, I need help deciding what breed he is. We want to take dna and see if we can register him if he ain't already. He looks purebred. Plus......I found out he ain't gelded AND he is now my QH stud's buddy. Gelding is jealous but pony wants to follow each of them around and be in their click. Its so interesting watching them deciding their herram(can't spell it, sorry) order. No studdy behavior from this pony and both studs are being gentlemens so far so good. If no one claims him we'll be keeping him :)
Posted via Mobile Device

·
Registered
6,150 Posts
There is no way to get DNA and test it against the registries. they don't keep data banks that people can randomly have a horse tested against. You have to know a possible sire/dam and breed to test against and IF that breed dos DNA and IF the sire/dam were registered... Sorry.

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Picture Overload!

Anyways.... i need some help here from all of you :) I think he's a welsh for some reason, but i'm not sure. Mom thought quarter pony. I don't know. Can you tell me what he is and why you think that?

Anyone know how to post pictures on here from a labtop?? I had to go to a place with wifi to get on a computer :)

·
Registered
1,602 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
ok getting them soon!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.