The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay guys this is more directed at people that have a job to do with horses, but if you wanna say how you got where you are in your horse life (not necessarily a job) then feel free!

What do you do? How did you get there?

·
Registered
6,719 Posts
When I was a teen I used to help out at a riding stable in exchange
for riding privilages
I fed, watered and groomed the horses, I would sometime tack them up too
it was hard work but I never minded though,

when my family moved to our new place. My dad made friends
with George who owned 3 horses, He asked my dad if I was interested in
looking after his horses, I had not 1 horse I had 3

·
Registered
281 Posts
I will share.
I started riding horses at age 8 years, and owning horses.
At 9 years old I joined 4h, but quit because the leader took all my camping time away.
At 12 years old I started Voluntering at an horse rescue.
At 15 years old I joined 4h again, and stayed in for two years before I quit.
My junior and Senior year of High School I took n Equine Science Management Program, working with race horses.
I have had my groomers licences for our local racetrack.
I now only use horses for my pleasure while going to college.

·
Registered
868 Posts
I worked with my trainer, everything from mucking stalls to exercising young horses. I learned ALLOT and had exposure to more horses then I can count all of different ages, disciplines and training levels.

How I got my current job, Head groom/assistant manager was very indirectly. My friend who I board with at our military barn asked me to come work with her. She is the manager of a relatively small barn that she started(from the ground up) at on a Plantation. We went from 2 boarders to 9 in less then a year and have 2 more coming in this spring. We also started offering lessons this summer. Its a great passion of both of ours and we work very well together.

It was an opportunity that just fell into my lap :)

·
Registered
11,953 Posts
I was born into a horse family. My grandfather started raising QHs in the '50s. My mom is a retired trainer. I started riding before I could walk, literally. I started showing small fry classes (w/t/c rail classes) at age 6.

I started training under my mom as a young teenager. I did a lot of the colt starting and my mom did the finish work. I did my first start to finish at 14. I've had quite a few mentors over the years, many sadly gone now.

I've not always been 100% horses for a career though. I did go to college and had a career as a stock broker for many years. Once I had my daughter, I decided that being able to stay home with her was more important than working 14 hour days in an office. So I went back to horses. I purchased the family farm, moved out of town and haven't looked back. Having a job in the finance world allowed me some financial flexibility and mgmt degree a more business minded approach to horses.

I train a few outside horses at a time and keep on about 10 lesson students. Not so busy that I can't get my own horses worked but busy enough to cover my expenses. My hubby has a fantastic job that allows for me to devote all of my time to the farm and to be fairly picky about how many I have in to ride or how many students I have. I won't be getting rich from horses anytime soon, but it is the most satisfying job in the world!

·
Registered
249 Posts
I started riding...well, before I was born!!! I showed from the time I was 6 until college. During my high school years, I gave several 4-Her's riding lessons. I also broke and trained several horses during that time as well. I got married and started a family, so I am just getting back in the swing of things, and will be giving riding lessons, as well as prof. braiding and banding for shows starting in the spring.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.