The Horse Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tell me your favorite horse breed and why :D
i wonder what breed will show up the most on this thread hmm :)

My fave has to be the Dutch Warmblood cause' their calm and stable personalities and beauty <3

and cuz i own one..lol xD

·
Registered
777 Posts
I'm not sure if I have "one" favorite breed or not LOL.

I love Quarter Horses: They are for the most part laid back and very calm. They are also very versatile and can go in many different directions as far as jobs. Also love the stocky-ness hehe

Also love Paints: For pretty much the same reasons as above and because of color.

My newest breed love is Morgans: They have got to be the sweetest horse out there. They are generally calm and laid back. (Going by my personal experience not every Morgan is I know). They are a great height and size for many different sized riders. They are also very versatile.

Hmm.. Also love Gypsy Vanners and Friesians but have never been around either in person so I can't put much about them other then what I've heard :)

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
^ Why?

My favorite breed hands-down is the Tennessee Walking Horse (or Spotted Saddle Horse which is pretty similar). You can't turn your nose up till you've tried one! They are amazing horses.

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
** Pictures! (A lot, lol)

dancie.jpg
indexpic.jpg
royal&doug-T.jpg
tennessee%20Walking%20horse%20150%204.jpg
tennesseewalkinghorse.jpg
tenn_walker_3_yqx1.jpg
Notice, no pads/big shoes:
walkinghorsephoto4.jpg

·
Registered
735 Posts
Appaloosas, because as a breed they have a great heritage, are nice to be around, learn fast, like their people and their jobs, they come with the size and build and movement I like, but also come in a variety of other sizes/builds/types, and oh yeah, COLOR-- about any kind you want!

·
Registered
2,225 Posts
I love Thoroughbreds for their athleticism and sensitivity. Super docile horses just don't do it for me, I need some fire under the hood. :wink:

I also love the baroque breeds, but they're just not practical for my kind of riding or my budget. I've become quite fond of Morgans lately. They're very sleek and elegant.

But someday, I want to own a perfect trail horse that I can take on all-day rides and on the beach and whatnot. I'm thinking of a black and white Foxtrotter gelding. That would be awesome.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
OoOo I was hoping to delete it cause it seemed that the thread had no hope thanks for postings guys i really appreciate it :)

I thought I was the invisible one x]

it seems that all breeds have a reason to be a fave :)

·
Registered
735 Posts
>>>OoOo I was hoping to delete it cause it seemed that the thread had no hope thanks for postings guys i really appreciate it :)

Well I would have posted sooner-- I rarely pass up a chance to proclaim my Appaloosa addiction, LOL--- but I was off the grid yesterday and didn't get back online till today after church-- I was, in fact, picking up this mare--

Because it was impossible to pass up another awesome Appaloosa!

·
Registered
5,722 Posts
i really like crosses haha
my favorites are tb/hano & tb/welsh cob

i also like QHs, Tbs, & hanoverians though. as well as welsh ponies/cobs =]

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Because it was impossible to pass up another awesome Appaloosa![/quote]

that is a good reason tho! she's gorgeous! i wish i could have more than one horse that's for sure :O

·
Registered
13,266 Posts
I absolutely love QHs because of their tempers and willingness to work. I only wish every breed could inherit that trait.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Im actually a big fan of lighter built draft crosses. Mostly because the draft gives them height , bone, and a good temperment, but crossed well with a tb, or an arab, gives them athleticism and speed. As long as its a nice cross I love them. My guys not the best example of a nice cross conformation wise, but attitude, willingness, and cuteness wise he gets an A++!

·
Registered
22,320 Posts
*steals eastowest's new mare* LOL.

My fave breed is the Mustang. They aren't refined like what you would really look for in a show horse but that's okay with me. I do mostly ranch work and trail riding and mustangs are just the right size. They are smart, they learn quickly, and are very willing. They are generally calm (after they are trained) but still have that spirit and are not afraid to flash it every now and then. They are strong and dependable and if you ask them to do something, you better make sure that is exactly what you want because they will do it regardless if they have to break tack, walk down cliffs other horses would run from, or jump fences taller than they are. Mine have more heart than any other horse I have ever ridden and they have so much personality. Though they may not be the prettiest of horses, their conformation is built to last with big bones, strong joints, and hard feet. I can use mine hard all day long and they still have a spring in their step when all other horses are plodding along hanging their heads. Mine are quick witted and trustworthy. Though they are very wild and untrusting at first, once you earn that trust, they won't hesitate to do what you ask and love to be loved on.

And if you don't mind just a couple of pix, here are my 2 (I really need some new pix of Koda)

Dobe: 7 year old

And Koda: 6 year old

·
Registered
941 Posts
My favourite bred ever is the Knabstrup. I was fortunate to have one when I was young, he was my first horse after my evil pony. Toby was magnificent, I have never encountered another horse like him. He was fearless and fun, he knew that he was beautiful and loved to show off. He used to dance and prance but never pulled or fussed just moved in a way that showed him to his best advantage. He never refused to do anything and was always up for an adventure. I loved him and when he died at the age of 30 I was devastated, I rode him until he was 27 and he gave his best until he couldn't anymore.

I would give anything for another Knabstrup.

Attachments

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
wow. beautiful horses guys!

& smrobs your so right about mustangs :) there's a couple at my barn and ya they are one of the smartest and willing horses ever!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts