The Horse Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As many of you probably know there have been many protests against raising student fee's in England at the moment, and as I have only 4 more years left until I decide where I go in my life, it has definately got me interested.

Basically half of the last years at my school (year above me)walked out of school at lunchtime to go protest about rising student fee's, but never came back to school.
Now everyone who was involved is in big trouble at school and people aren't happy. As far as I know all their parents agreed with them going on protest.
Technically they didn't actually break the rules by walking out at lunch as they are allowed out at lunch but they are just in trouble becuase they missed the last 2 lessons of the say. Our school policy says that we should get involved in communual activities that will benefit our education, and as far as I see it that's what they did. A degree is going to be more important than missing one day of a secondary school education.
And can I also point out the people that protested actually care about their education they're not the sort of people who take it as an excuse to miss school.

I think it's totally unfair that they got into alot of trouble, yes they did walk out of school, but they weren't planning to stay there for ages.

What do you guys think about this do you think it's fair or not.

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
If you are going to protest, you have to be okay with dealing with the consequences.

I have done the same thing. I got detention for it.
The students broke the rules by missing class.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
They have like 120 mins detention aswell as all being on report

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
For sticking up for something they beleived in. And anyway our school is always encouraging us to get out there, and when people end up in trouble for ASB the school does nothing but for sticking up for their future this happens

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
They may be trying to stick up for what they believe in, but like I said when you break the rules (regardless of why) you have to be prepared for the consequences.

Does it suck, sure but that's just how it works.

I don't really think walk outs count as communal activities though. They mean more of volunteer work.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If I said that it's not the first time it's happened at my school would that change anything

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That even when we are expressing our opinions, instead of listening they still hand out punishments

·
Registered
6,594 Posts
Such is the nature with protesting.

And when it comes down to it, your school as an individual place can't really make any decisions on a matter greater than itself. From what I understand the rise in fees is a nation wide type change, so your school can't really make any change in and of itself.

Your efforts would be better spent speaking to the government officials who make those decisions and that hold the power.

·
Super Moderator
22,669 Posts
I think that sometimes you need to fight for your rights, even that'd mean you'd gain some problems because of it. Many people who've ended up to achieve something important have had to break rules and carry consequences following that.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Exactly my point, and it wasn't like they were going every single day

1 - 13 of 13 Posts