The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First time buying a horse, would like to hear some opinions... It's a unique situation.

I'm going to purchase a horse I love in New York and then my fiance and I are moving to Las Vegas in ~6 months and transporting her.

The owner offered to sell the horse now for 6k and I can board her at their barn for $400 (half price) while keeping her in the schooling program (2-3 times a week she'd be ridden). And I would ride 3-4 times a week. Mind you I love this barn and have been riding here since I was 5 yrs old.

My fiance seems to think since they are willing to wait until the 6 months when we leave for us to buy the horse, then they should let me lease her for $400/mo. until we are ready to buy her at a specified and agreed upon date in 6 months.

I'm happy buying her now and paying the $400 and riding her until we have to ship her to Vegas, but he thinks we should try to negotiate to pay the $400 a month now and buy her later when we are closer to moving.

Is there really a difference? Any opinions or questions or thoughts to consider?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
262 Posts
My one concern with leasing now and buying later is the possibility that the horse be sold out from under you. It sounds like a good barn if you've been happy there for so long, but still be aware that if you wait to buy her that someone may come along and offer 6k tomorrow and she could be gone. It's happened to me a couple times so I would be weary of that.
 
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top