The Horse Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
I don’t know that I love the wall left myself, but that horse has tiny feet for his bone. It makes me wonder if the farrier is dealing with super thin soles or something and has his reasons. I don’t love the horse’s hooves themselves, like there is a flare there and separation, yet the feet are so small it’s confusing. They look too long from the bottom, and the outside with the flare almost says the same, but I just don’t know.

@wvfarrier and @dustyk would read it a lot better than I am.

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
On a side note- I don’t love big boned horses with small feet. It in my experience has led to ringbone. Of course it’s confirmation and natural, but I wouldn’t buy another one because of my own experience.

·
Registered
513 Posts
Too much wall was taken off at the toe in my opinion. The hoof probably could have just had the walls at the quarters dressed up.and left for another 3 weeks or so. I would also recommend trimming the excess material from around the heel bulbs. I would mention too that those hooves are almost clubbed. Look at the amount of pressure being put on the toe and toe quarters. That is likely why you are getting such a heavy flare. Thats just my .02 based on those pics

·
Premium Member
7,330 Posts
I don’t mind the toe taken short, but I definitely agree that his heels are too long and his foot looks clubbed.

Reactions: SueC and Zimalia22

·
Registered
2002 APH Gelding aka Rocky
80 Posts
It looks like it has a club foot to me but I would imagine you know that. And it seems like too short of a trim I prefer horses hooves to be left with more frog than that but that’s all in my personal opinion. The before pic looks like the horse wasn’t quite due for a trim but if it’s corrective trimming or you/your farrier has your reasons that that’s understandable. Like I said all imo. :)

·
Premium Member
Horse loving mama in Texas
1,217 Posts
OP could you post pictures of your horse standing to where you can see all 4 hooves? I think it would help alot on seeing how this horse looks and standing so we can see his hooves better, its kinda hard to really judge base on looking only at one hoof.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I agree too much toe gone. All in all this horse didn't need much trimming from the bottom. Maybe brought forward on to the stand and shaped and cleaned up from the top, but not to this extent. Seems to have a bit of a dish, I'd be curious as to what x-rays look like

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The farrier didn't take any sole off, brought heels back and addressed the flare. The horse had really bad feet when we got him few months ago, a complex case overall and we are slowly trying to change the shape, conformation. It is known to me that doing it all at once is not a good idea..
I was so happy with the results of the work my farrier did.. the horse started looking so much more relaxed, stopped being lame (he was limping really bad before) that I didn't question his work. We are just trying to help him. But now i think that we try to help too much. If that makes sense.. Thank you all for your feedback 👍

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OP could you post pictures of your horse standing to where you can see all 4 hooves? I think it would help alot on seeing how this horse looks and standing so we can see his hooves better, its kinda hard to really judge base on looking only at one hoof.
Will
I don’t know that I love the wall left myself, but that horse has tiny feet for his bone. It makes me wonder if the farrier is dealing with super thin soles or something and has his reasons. I don’t love the horse’s hooves themselves, like there is a flare there and separation, yet the feet are so small it’s confusing. They look too long from the bottom, and the outside with the flare almost says the same, but I just don’t know.

@wvfarrier and @dustyk would read it a lot better than I am.
I'm not that smart but I guess that happens when you mix a draft with an Arabian, I am just trying to help this horse and his owner,.. 😣 It was very confusing for me as well, the tiny feet..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts