The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just curious what your thoughts were when it comes to tie downs. I was wondering if it can cause knots in their neck and since you can adjust them when do you know when it's too much and not enough.

I have heard some bad things about them because the horse can become dependent on them.

Does anyone use them?

·
Registered
112 Posts
I dont use them, though I probably should at times. but I'm scared that If my horse throws his head up he might damage his neck or nose.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Gidget, the ideal length of a tie down is to have your horse standing with his head at his natural height, and push it up into his throatlatch... The tie down should be loose enough to conform to the whole underside of his neck and still have a little slack.

Some horses do better with them, some horses don't. It's all just trial and error.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Tiedowns are blankets used to cover bad horsemanship in most cases. 90% of the people that use tiedowns wouldn't need them if they knew how to ride and their horse was properly trained. This topic has been beat to death but it's been a while since we have had a good debate about it . Below is a link to a thread that went on for a while.

http://www.horseforum.com/western-riding/tie-downs-such-41562/

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thanks. My horse gets mad if I ask her to do something. I used one and it seemed to help. I took it off and she didnt seem to have such an issue with her head flinging side to side. She was like this since before I brought her home. I was just curious on what people thought.

Kevin,you seem like a real horse man/cowboy sorta guy. What do you think of martingales? People have mentioned those to me before.

I used some spurs on her to see how she did and she listened to me and I didn't feel like I had to kick her guts out....just rolled them. I also have a crop and an under and over...I believe that is what it's called.

I'll have to make a video if I actually remember to get my camera out and start making one!

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
Agreed 100% with Kevin, train your horse to accept the bit and your commands or figure out the physical causes of his head tossing. if he is tossing enough to hurt himself you need to figure out why he is doing it instead of using a patch to cover up the problem.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh and if I mess around with speed barrels or whatever I feel like practicing she doesn't toss her head untill she is ready to head back to the gate....any idea why she does that? I personally think she is competitive but I was wondering if there is any way I can fix this.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
thanks. My horse gets mad if I ask her to do something. I used one and it seemed to help.

Kevin,you seem like a real horse man/cowboy sorta guy. What do you think of martingales?

I'll have to make a video if I actually remember to get my camera out and start making one!
If you feel you need all that stuff to make her listen you need a trainer. And I am sorry but the bolded line is just plain ignorance in type.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Agreed 100% with Kevin, train your horse to accept the bit and your commands or figure out the physical causes of his head tossing. if he is tossing enough to hurt himself you need to figure out why he is doing it instead of using a patch to cover up the problem.

She has no problems with the bit. I keep my reins loose..they are gaming reins. She is sensitive to movement but sometimes will be very stubborn.
I worked with flexing last night and I lunged her and waved to her to come to me and she has been doing AWESOME. She use to buck and rear but seems to be more respectful. It's just when she runs and in the beginning of a trot.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If you feel you need all that stuff to make her listen you need a trainer. And I am sorry but the bolded line is just plain ignorance in type.

Honeysuga, I am NEW to horses. I'm a beginner and I am working on getting to know my horse. I may sound ignorant but I am trying to LEARN.
I hate it when people give beginners a bunch of crap because they are still learning. I am learning from a lot of people and I like to ask a lot of questions. I am getting lessons this summer from a gal I met that is a coach on a equestrian team.

·
Registered
3,113 Posts
I am not giving you crap, just sound advice, the easiest way for a new person to learn is to get a trainer instead of doing a bunch of trial and error,your horse will thank you.

And to the other posts, I am glad she is improving, isn't it fun to see both of you progess?

·
Registered
753 Posts
Honeysuga;573790[U said:
]If you feel you need all that stuff to make her listen you need a trainer[/U]. And I am sorry but the bolded line is just plain ignorance in type.
underlined: trainers dont always make the problem better. i had two different ones and they both told me to sell my horse. one said he was dangerous the other said he wont jump. im not getting offers for people to buy him. living proof not all trainers fix the problem

·
Registered
753 Posts
I am not giving you crap, just sound advice, the easiest way for a new person to learn is to get a trainer instead of doing a bunch of trial and error,your horse will thank you.

And to the other posts, I am glad she is improving, isn't it fun to see both of you progess?
i find trial and error are better becuase you've learned from experience no matter how hard the experience was. same with anything in life. you learn from experience. trainers use trial and error too. when they first do something new they dont know if its going to work out. they try it out and then you both learn wheather it'l work or not

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
Kevin,you seem like a real horse man/cowboy sorta guy. What do you think of martingales? People have mentioned those to me before.
First you want to make sure your horses teeth have been floated and are in good shape. as far as martingales go I don't use them anymore. I did when I was younger for a while because I saw everyone else using them. I realized eventually that if I rode correctly and trained my horse correctly I wouldn't have any need for one. I don't do alot of high pressure events so I don't often have to force my horse to try things he isn't ready for.

My advice to you is to stay away from any type of speed events untill you can walk, trot and canter on a loose rein and stop soft and collected. You also need to wait until you can w/t/c without your feet in teh stirrups or your hands on the reins. If you work hard it may only take you a couple of years to do this. That may seem like a long time but if you stick with it and learn to ride and get a broke horse before you try to compete you will blow the socks off of girls with much faster horses.

When I was a kid I did 4-H and I was the only boy that competed in our county. I rode a horse that I paid $75 for and I weighed twice as much as most of those girls. I never went to a show that I didn't place in at least one speed event and usually all three. The only reason for this was that my horse was very well broke and I could ride very well. There were girls on horses that cost $5-10000 that could leave my little horse in the dust all day long but if the girl couldn't get them rated around the barrel or to change leads through the poles it didn't matter how fast they ran.

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
i find trial and error are better becuase you've learned from experience no matter how hard the experience was. same with anything in life. you learn from experience. trainers use trial and error too. when they first do something new they dont know if its going to work out. they try it out and then you both learn wheather it'l work or not

That might work if you don't mind ruining a few horses in the process. Why not learn from someone elses experience if you can? I also find punctuation and capitalization are the best way to indicate the beginning and the end of a sentence and make you posts appear more intelligent and easier to read.

·
Registered
753 Posts
That might work if you don't mind ruining a few horses in the process. Why not learn from someone elses experience if you can? I also find punctuation and capitalization are the best way to indicate the beginning and the end of a sentence and make you posts appear more intelligent and easier to read.
well ive tried it and my horse is worth twice as much now:/
sorry my cap buttons not working. ive used puntuation:)
sorry about that:)

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I think it depends on the person and their opinions. We all have different opinions but I think we should take things in all consideration but it would HELP A LOT if people were a little kinder around on these boards.

Thanks Kevin.

·
Registered
4,358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
And thank you Lauren for making me feel better. It was a downer for me and I just want to do my very best. Some people can't spend a ton of money on trainers but I plan on getting a few lessons this summer. I am planning a wedding right now so all the extra money goes towards that.

·
Registered
753 Posts
And thank you Lauren for making me feel better. It was a downer for me and I just want to do my very best. Some people can't spend a ton of money on trainers but I plan on getting a few lessons this summer. I am planning a wedding right now so all the extra money goes towards that.
no problem:) if you ever need to talk just pm me or go into chat:)
wedding is obviosly way more important than getting a trainer at the minute! do as your doing and ask questions whenever your stuck:)

·
Registered
5,455 Posts
well ive tried it and my horse is worth twice as much now:/
sorry my cap buttons not working. ive used puntuation:)
sorry about that:)

Sorry about the caps comment it's one of my pet peeves.

I'm glad your horse is worth twice as much now but you also had lessons from at least two different instructors and I would bet your horse was broke to ride when you got him. Perhaps with a little more help he could be worth 4 times as much or it would have taken half the time. My advice was sound even if you lucked out and are happy with your horse. If you ride for ten more years and look back at your horse you will see where you could have done better and where you messed up out of ignorance. I know this from experience.

To the OP: Sometimes being nice is not the help someone needs. I think you can save yourself alot of needless bumps and bruises if you find a qualified person to help you.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.
Status
Not open for further replies.