The Horse Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My horse has gotten this yucky eye swelling from time to time. When I see it, I've hot compressed it and put in allergy eye drops and before I could call the vet it clears up. The 4th time it happened, it lasted longer than usual.

I had the vet out last week to do a complete overhaul on him. He had a cough for a week (which was non-existent when the vet got there), I wanted his eyes looked at because of this intermittent swelling (they were fine when he was there, had him put the dye in to make sure there was no underlying issue), his sheath swelled up huge, but was down considerably when the vet got there (we ultrasounded anyway), had his teeth done and his tear ducts flushed since it seemed like that was the culprit.

Went out last night and found his face like this! I've sent pictures to the vet, am waiting on a call back this afternoon. The goopy stuff coming out of his eye is white. The eye itself looks fine, he can see out of it and he's eating and acting normally otherwise. I'm convinced it's something environmental. Could this be some kind of allergic reaction or irritation? Has anyone had any experience with something like this and what was the outcome?

Attachments

·
Registered
4,071 Posts
First, I'm glad you called your vet and sent him/her a picture of what it looks like. My past experience with something like that did not turn out well. So I do not want to send you off the deep end with what my experience was, as yours may be something not so serious. Any eye issue should always, imo, be seen by a vet. Let us know what you find out it may be. Good luck

Reactions: Wallaby

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
My vet agreed it was environmental and there is nothing at all wrong with the eye itself. It looked as bad in the picture one day, and the next there is only a little residual swelling on the bottom lid but he's bright eyed and bushy tailed and ready to GO like his usual self. I am much relieved.

He advised me to continue with what I was doing. Hot compress, flush with saline or drops, bute for swelling and pain and maybe a hit of Benedryl if it's an allergic reaction to something.

I just get worried sick...

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.