The Horse Forum banner
2001 - 2020 of 2035 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,003 ·
I think Zeus thinks that exact thing @MeditativeRider! Lol.

I am not particularly brave where bulls are concerned, to be honest. I don’t love working on bull days, and yet I have to be there. Lol. I also know you cannot give to a bull, so I fake courage and take it with acceptance I guess.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,007 ·
He is oddly tough @gottatrot! I think he is the best choice for an icy battle too!

I have to tell you, little girl was walking by and saw your post over my shoulder and you made her super happy. She made me screenshot it for her.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,010 ·
Zeus, Bones, Cashman and Queen

The day was cold, and the sun sparkled off of the snow. There was no wind, so the warm clothes made the day feel comfortable. Beauty was everywhere, and a flock of geese flew through the sky in a perfect V, calling down to the horsemen.

The woman chose Zeus again for the icy terrain, and he walked along quickly, occasionally making dirty faces towards the pup who snaked along by his side. Bones and Ozzy were together, bringing up one side of the herd. Junie B watched where she was carefully, and seemed to intuitively know the best positioning. One cow turned and fought her, bringing her joy as she clamped down on the cow’s nose causing the herd to run for a moment on the ice.

The job seemed to go quickly, and soon they loaded horses back into the trailer. The next day would be a longer one, but this was simple.

When they unloaded at home, the couple decided to take advantage of the still air and catch the big horse and the filly. The two horses had been angry to be left behind, and they were happy to be caught. The filly hadn’t been ridden for some time, but she was pleasant to saddle and in a good mood as they made their way through the snow.

The little white dog bounded through the snow, giving the riders something to laugh about. “He is going to be a worn out mess,” the man smiled. At times the little dog would try to burrow his way along before beginning to bound through again. Eventually he would come to the bigger dog’s tracks and find an easier way of going before veering off again.

The snow was perfect, with only the occasion bird tracks. The woman loved seeing the tracks. Sometimes there would be a perfect outline of a bird in the snow where a hawk came down on an unlucky mouse.

The filly had wanted to play in the snow when they first began, but she settled into a pleasant walk. The big horse occasionally spooked, fresh from the time spent in the corral. When they came back around towards the house the woman allowed the filly to test out one of the shorter banks. She could feel the mare wanted to see what they were about, and when she walked her towards it the mare climbed right in to fall through down to her shoulders.

She lunged her way out happily, and she let out a satisfied groan and sigh. The man laughed. “Children,” he teased. The woman laughed too. She wondered if the mare had been wanting to see the snow piles outside of her corral, and if she had dreamed of climbing into one.

It was a happy way to celebrate the beginning of a new year.
Sky Snow Horse Working animal Slope

·
Registered
8,496 Posts
Sometimes there would be a perfect outline of a bird in the snow where a hawk came down on an unlucky mouse.
I love coming across this too! Somewhere I have a picture of a perfect snowy imprint of an owl that had gotten a mouse right outside my barn door. I can’t think of where the picture is saved but I am going to try to find it. 🦉

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,013 ·
Cashman and Bones

It was bone chilling cold as they readied for their day. It was the last big winter work day, pregging the second batch of cattle. The woman chose the small sorrel horse for the job, as he excelled at it. He also owned a pair of boots with spikes, which would help on the ice.

When the woman went to put on his boots, it was so cold that the front fitting and guard snapped off. She put the boot on anyways, and hoped it would still work. She wanted the traction the boots would offer. Often times the older cattle were difficult to preg, and knowing it was icy they also were old enough to know they could take a horse on the slick ground. The boots gave the little cowy horse an advantage over them.

The horses were touchy in the cold weather. The woman assumed they were grateful their bridles got a warm up in the pickup, because she had burned her hand on the cold metal when she accidentally grabbed it from the tack room.

When she climbed onto the little sorrel, she regretted the spurs on her boots. The cold of the metal worked it’s way through the rubber and into her feet. Bones was anxious, and he played with the flag obsessively and intensely. Cashman did not have an out for his own pent up feelings like the small horse, and he took a few nervous jumps.

He stayed on edge as work began, and for some time after. Everything he did was tense, occasionally throwing minor fits. The woman was grateful for Bones and his flag. His intensity played out not just with the flag, but with the cattle as well, and any cow who turned to fight he lunged up and came down biting and striking out. He was snaky and mad like a dog might have been, and the cattle decided to take him seriously.

Whenever the two women made their way to swap pens of cattle, the big horse threw a tantrum where he waited, bucking and trying the sides of the corral. Ridden he became fairly calm however.

The day went as quickly as it was possible, although the cold and the headache the woman bore made it seem a bit long. When they finished and took to gathering the culls for sorting, Cash again took a try at bucking. For whatever reason he always hated the weaning lot, where the cattle had been turned out as they pregged open.

When they stepped off their horses, the girls, who had worked the ground with their grandfather, and the riders made their way up to the shop to eat their lunches. In the shop was a new mobile heater, and once it was started they enjoyed the comfort it brought.

Cloud Sky Sunlight Horizon Gas
Photograph Light Blue Horse Fawn
Horse Window Liver Sorrel Snow

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,014 ·
Beamer

Tears were falling from the younger girl as she ran the brush over the sorrel horse’s soft fur. “I didn’t think it would be this hard,” she cried, as her mother and sister came out to join her. They braided his mane and tail, and tied ribbons and a flower into the ends.

They each climbed onto his back for one last ride, and too soon it was time to load him into the trailer and head to his new home.

The oldest of his new little girls came running to the family after they parked, her little sister on her tail. “But, why do you have a trailer?,” the small girl asked. Her attention kept wandering to the trailer, especially when the horse inside began to whinny.

The small girls watched as their older cousin walked into the trailer and led the sorrel out. “Why are their bows on him?,” the youngest of the little girls asked. “There is a flower in his tail!,” she went on. Her cousin leaned down, “He’s the most beautiful horse, isn’t he? Do you know he’s yours now?”

The little girl’s eyes went wide and she was confused for a moment. “He’s for us?!”

The small girls rode him around, and he carried them proudly. He walked fast, but on ice he became slow and careful, ever mindful of his little riders. “He’s awesome! He’s the best horse. He turns and goes, and he’s fast. He’s not like George,” the older of the small girls explained.

They all hoped that the sorrel horse would be for his new girls what he was for his grown children. They hoped he would have a bright new chapter of love and kindness in his life.
Horse Sky Working animal Horse tack Bit
Sky Horse Horse tack Tree Saddle
Sky Smile Tree Working animal People in nature
Sky Horse Working animal Horse supplies Bridle
Horse Sky Vertebrate Snow Working animal

2001 - 2020 of 2035 Posts