The Horse Forum banner
2021 - 2035 of 2035 Posts

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,021 ·
Thank you @gottatrot! Husband chose the song. I thought it a little too sad, but he said it was about him needing good horses like Beamer, not about his death. 🤷‍♀️

@MeditativeRider it was so good to see them all so happy! They gave him a little pan of grain when he went into his corral, and he just looked so surprised.

@egrogan I hope so! I am happy for him.

@knightrider I remember taking that picture. It was such a crazy day. The girls and I were left holding the heifers. A bee stung the oldest, and then a rattler started up right by the youngest. Then, bees started chasing the oldest! So, I decided it was one thing too many, and I wasn’t going to stay there holding those heifers! We took them to where they could meet the cows coming through another gate. Bees scare me!

·
Registered
769 Posts
I would be more scared of the snake. Having no snakes in NZ, when we lived in the US, I just found them really creepy. The only time I got super close to a rattlesnake (like 20 cm away from standing on it), it did not even rattle at me! Maybe it was in a relaxed mood?

Do you get aggressive bees? Bees here would not chase you. I hate wasps though. They would chase you.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,023 ·
It was wasps, not bees @MeditativeRider. I call everything bees. Lol. The one that stung big girl got under her shirt and got her three times.

I am not scared of snakes myself. I used to have to kill at least a rattler a day when I was at the Arab ranch. They never have bothered me for whatever reason.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,025 ·
Cashman and Queen

The weather had finally allowed for some sunshine, and the icy patches where the yard had been scraped were mostly melted off. The woman wanted to ride, and she asked her husband to go along with her, since he was off for the afternoon.

He was working on oiling an old set of stirrups when she went outside and caught horses. She caught the big horse first, because he was one to cause problems if she chose anyone over him. When she led him out the gate he spooked and ran forward. She stopped him and scolded him, and he refused to come down from his tantrum. She didn’t know what had him upset, but fought with him there for a time.

She hated leading him when he was in that sort of a mood, and was glad it was a rarity now, because as good as he was, he was also the type to be willing to come over the top of her. Since there was no getting him to focus, she took him to the trailer in a fight, and managed to get him tied up. He dropped the attitude as quickly as having started it, and she mumbled to him that she was happy it wasn’t her riding him this day.

She didn’t expect any problems from the fancy little mare in spite of her youth, although the other horses had crowded the gate arguing. Everyone wanted to come. Zues was difficult to back off, and so she let the mare out the gate without snapping the halter. The mare stood and waited for her to close the gate and fix the halter, and they started towards the trailer.

In the same spot as the big horse, the mare spooked forward. When she hit the end of the lead she turned and reared. She struck out towards the woman, almost playfully, and soon the woman was beginning the same argument she had just had. The filly, unlike the big horse, was not one to continue to push a fight. She quickly went right back to behaving, and the woman shook her head in exasperation. “What in the world has gotten into you today?”

She had brushed them both and begun to saddle when the man came out. She told him about fighting with the horses, and around them the dogs were running and playing and fighting. They decided that everyone must be wound up in the warm weather, although neither believed the big horse justified. The filly was a different matter, because she quit as soon as she knew she was in trouble, and she was young and feisty.

They got on and started out into the snowy field, and the mare was hot. Without a round corral, the woman wondered what she should do about the pent up energy the mare held. “Would you mind if I got off and you ponied her a bit?”

When he agreed she slipped out of the saddle and pulled the snaffle off of the little mare’s delicate face. The mare threw a few fits as she watched them head out. She reared up and constantly tried taking off. The big horse and his rider both spent time scolding her. When they were at a distance the woman watched them break into a lope and begin covering country.

When he came back the mare’s attitude had again improved. Occasionally she liked to try her hand at bossing them all, and it seemed when it didn’t work she was back to herself. The woman rebridled her, and they began their ride again. The filly was still what she was made to be, and so she made dirty faces to the big horse next to her and tried to pick up the pace every now and again.

She was contented however, and the day was beautiful. They all seemed to enjoy themselves while the dogs burned off their own excessive energy fighting and running.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,026 ·
Cashman and Queen

The weather was again sunny, and despite the ice and the snow it felt warm when the woman caught the big horse and the young mare. They both shoved their heads into halters, the mare’s refined and delicate, although her long winter coat gave it a coarse look. The two enjoyed being brushed, leaning into the woman’s hand.

She rode Queen around the small dry patch, and the filly seemed back to herself. She was light and attentive, although the edge she carried could be felt. The big horse she jumped on bareback, and he seemed happy and lazy in the sunshine. She was happy to be outside and to be simply enjoying the two horses.

When her husband pulled into the yard she had yet to unsaddle the filly, and she asked him if he would like to ride. She saddled the big horse for him while he changed shoes. Although he had seemed quite happy, he spooked and jumped as they rode along.

The filly mostly ignored his antics while they tried different things in the snow covered arena. She seemed pleased to not be ponied and to be doing something different from her last rides. When the big horse went over the poles he spooked and ran, and the filly seemed to tauntingly step right over them. The big horse took another few jumps over a feed bucket the dog had drug in, and the filly pawed it to see if any grain might be hiding.

The couple laughed over Cashman’s attitude. When they walked away from the arena he blew forward and took a jump at some invisible thing, but coming from behind the filly she spooked herself, believing he was taking after her for a moment.

They decided to let the filly see the snow banks she obsessed over again. When the woman picked her up from climbing the deepest part, the man teased and told her to let her play. When she did, the expectation she had was fulfilled. The filly got too excited and tried her hand at bucking off of the deep snow, and was insulted when the woman stopped her.

They laughed and went to the arena again to bring the little mare down. She shook her head and threatened to again play, only to be stopped and spun. It was evident she was again insulted, for she only wanted to play in the sunshine. The woman could almost hear her argument that the big horse had done a lot worse, but the woman also knew the mare was an athlete that she didn’t want learning to buck.

It was a fun and happy afternoon.

To top off the day, the woman heard about how Beamer and his little girl loved each other. The girl spent her evenings with the old horse, brushing him and giving him his dinner. She could be found in his corral teaching him about the days of the week, or leading him on walks around the house. He placed his head down low and rested it on her chest. They were fast becoming the best of friends.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,027 ·
Bones and Queen

Bones was self mutilating in the corral something awful. The woman watched him for a time, and the man looked out, “His demons are at it today.” She called to her oldest daughter. “You need to get Bones out and do something with him; he’s tearing himself up.”

They both went outside, for the woman intended to take the little filly out while the sun shown in any case. They brushed off their horses, and Cashman too, and saddled the two smaller animals. “Do you remember the games we used to play when your sister was starting Zeus? Do you want to play those with me and Queen?,” the woman asked the girl, who was chasing dogs on the wound up sorrel.

They began the games, which weren’t particularly fun games, but useful. The intention was taking turns in the small gravel area of coming up with a simple pattern to complete, but difficult to remember. The girl started by making a pattern of spins and circles and backing, and the woman completed it afterwards on the filly. Both horses were happy with the simple games. The filly struggled when the girl added side passing into her patterns, and the woman reminded her to keep them kindergarten level.

After a bit the woman asked her if she would like to take turns playing cow. The girl smiled big, “Yes! You run first.” So the woman tied the filly to the trailer and began running as a cow would for the little sorrel. Bones was as thrilled as his girl. He cut unorthodoxly, jumping around and wound tighter than tight. His “cow fresh,” became a bit much when he started jumping around, and the woman reminded her daughter that she needed to worry about her head, as the girl laughed loud and happy.

Her mother got onto the sorrel then, while the girl ran cow. It took a moment of correction before the horse settled into cutting correctly. He was proud and happy, and the girl rubbed on his head still giggling when he was given back to her. “I’ll tie him up. He should end on a good note,” she told her mother, and began talking to the horse. “You are such a good boy. Did we work those bad demons away? That’s what you needed, wasn’t it?”

The little filly was next in line. She didn’t understand the game exactly, and she pushed out on some of her turns and waited for direction from the woman. One way she began to watch the girl a bit, and the other she needed direction. The woman wasn’t anything but happy with the mare. Eventually she knew the fancy colored animal would understand and enjoy the game.
Horse Sky Tree Working animal Horse tack
Horse Sky Plant Working animal Horse tack

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,029 ·
Lol @MeditativeRider, you are welcome. It’s actually lots of fun. Queen does not associate a person with cutting yet, and with her temperament I am not sure I really want her to to the extent of Bones. He’s kindhearted and gets it’s a game; she is a bit mean spirited and might think she could boss around people too. Lol

·
Registered
769 Posts
The photo of Bones reminds me of how our dog gets if you play running games with her. We do a similar thing I guess where we run and dodge. She gets super hyped up and into it. You have to be careful to not hype her up too much or she starts nipping your ankles like the working dog she is. She is best if you give her a chew toy first so she has something in her mouth and then she just plays but does not try to nip.

·
Registered
4,009 Posts
“What in the world has gotten into you today?”
I've been saying that to Chorro, Isabeau, and Windy in the past 2 weeks. I've ridden them every winter for many years (well, not Windy--she was too young to ride for some of those years) while they lived in the sacrifice pen, but this year, when I ride out on cold windy days, they act naughty. Aci is perfect no matter what the weather, no matter if he is by himself or a group of 20, no matter what the time of day. Unfortunately, he is not perfect for inexperienced riders . . . but you can't have everything, can you?

Now . . . what is the matter with the other 3?????

Sure do enjoy your journal and so glad you joined up with Horse Forum!

·
Registered
2,299 Posts
I'm sorry but you PLAY COW? I had to read it a few times :ROFLMAO: do the horses, well the ones that know, actually try to work? Is it different from when you're actually cutting, like they get playful? That's freaking hilarious and I love it so much if so!

Very glad to read about Beamer, too. Your journal is both soothing and entertaining - a totally different world. I love how you write.

·
Registered
5,206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,035 ·
Thank you @Kalraii!! It’s actually really similar if they know what’s expected. You can see how low and correct he was when I was on him. He loves cutting anything! The oldest was misbehaving and cutting chickens the other day. She’s not quite at keeping him correct, and if he gets ahold of a chicken he’ll kill it! She was trying to cut the dogs too. Hahaha. We used to have the lab who loved playing cow! The faster the better for her. The dogs now just get insulted.

2021 - 2035 of 2035 Posts