The Horse Forum banner
2441 - 2460 of 2492 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,441 ·
Cashman, Zeus, Queen and a little roan horse

It was a beautiful evening, when after dinner the man asked the woman to go catch horses. She had already ridden them earlier, working on the new calves with the filly, but she put down the book she was reading, and jumped to the chance. The girl asked if she could ride with them, but only as far as her grandparents’ house, for she wanted to do arena work.

On the ride down they enjoyed the beauty around them. Coming to the pivot, it was spraying in the road, and a deep puddle had formed. “I’m going,” the man hollered as he ran through, trying to miss the spray of the end guns. The woman felt for her nerves, and asked to filly to trot through. The two did not miss the spray, but the filly enjoyed water and seemed excited for the coolness of it.

The girl came after them, half soaked, and she dropped the extra cinch she carried. She went back, jumping off the little yellow horse in the puddle to retrieve the now wet thing. She was taking it to her grandfather. It was a shorter mohair cinch, pretty patterned, that was good for starting colts and riding smaller horses. Nothing at their house needed it any longer, until the day Oakley would grow up enough to start.

The girl’s grandfather was starting his little roan colt. He received the colt in a trade for his roan horse. He was the same age as the fancy filly, but taking his time to grow. They dropped the girl and the cinch, and talked for a moment, before heading out to the dirt roads.

The filly was happy to stretch out her legs next to the giant horse, and they loped a few miles before turning and trotting back home. The big horse was sweated up, but the filly was in decent shape and dry, wishing they would continue to lope longer.

When they came back into the yard, the girl was working on gymkhana events and the colt was saddled in the round pen. They stopped and watched the colt, who was a fancy sight. He could slide and spin, and fly backwards with his head gathered fancy, although he had yet to be ridden.

They visited for a time, when the colt had finished his lesson. They all laughed at how Queen had grown up suddenly, next to the little animal. The woman’s mother laughed at how much bigger she now was than the yellow horse, and her father laughed that she was wider than the big horse.

They discussed using the big horse to pony the colt, and when they led them beside each other the woman laughed at how massive the colt made him look.

On the way home, they took the time to appreciate the green around them, and the cool mist coming from the pivot. The woman smiled at the rainbow it created, and the birds floating ahead of them.
Horse Sky Cloud Daytime Blue
Horse Sky Working animal Halter Horse tack
Horse Sky Plant Horse tack Halter
Cloud Sky Natural landscape Plant Road surface

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,446 ·
@egrogan I feel like he was telling her something like “I would die for you.” Right after that moment he attacked everyone else for standing there. He loves her. He was very good at protecting Queen when she came too. I think he very much likes, or just feels responsible for, babies.

@Txshecat0423 maybe. Lol. She was a little more false brave than she showed. When she would walk a step closer she couldn’t keep up the front and would blow out and run. Lol. Then one time she hit the drip line and only half fell, which was impressive.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,448 ·
Bones, Cashman and Queen

The older of the two girls had been sick, and she was ready to get back out and ride. She had been anxious to see the new calves with Bones, and work on her cutting. It was windy when they caught horses, and clouds hung ominously, blocking the sun and creating a nice feel to the afternoon.

The woman was stiff in the little mare’s saddle, from running up a canyon earlier in the day, but she knew eventually she would loosen back up. She left the halter under the filly’s bridle, only because the weather seemed so threatening.

Once in the arena, the wind blew off and on. The girl was tasked with riding the little sorrel horse down before showing him the cattle. He tended towards getting cow fresh, and her parents did not want to chance her getting another injury. Meanwhile, the woman was proud to show her husband that the filly would now lope circles for her without too much argument.

Once they got the cattle out, they set the dogs into position for turn back, and the woman rode in to settle the calves. They were surprisingly good at hanging in the corner, for they knew the dogs were not to be taken lightly. After they seemed settled, the woman told the girl she could ride in. She reminded her to stay slow, for the calves needed to learn the program as well.

The girl and her sorrel did surprisingly well. She explained she had been watching videos, and the woman was impressed with her decisions with the horse. She was also impressed that the little horse held back on his normal first of the year kick ups and rearing. He tended towards not being able to contain his excitement, but on this day he started out taking things seriously.

After the girl worked, the man rode the big sorrel in, and they did their best at being correct and quick. The woman rode in on the filly, and the little horse tried, but it was obvious she needed to single cow, and was not ready for corner work.

They let the dogs put the calves back into their corral and rode home. Everyone was pleased with their ride, excepting Zeus who they could hear complaining from their house about being left behind.
Horse Sky Ecoregion Vertebrate Hat
Sky Cloud Working animal Hat Fence
Cloud Horse Sky Ecoregion Working animal
Horse Plant Ecoregion Working animal Tree

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,449 ·
Oh, I forgot to mention that Bones had a wire stuck far into his neck when she caught him! I pulled it out, and it was at least an inch deep. It had to feel good to get it out of there.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,451 ·
I liked that too @knightrider! Junie B has turned out to be an excellent dog. She’s struggling a little with coming to the concept of turn back again. She does understand that they are not allowed past her, or the line I’ve asked her to watch, but she doesn’t quite understand when I tell her to walk up. I feel like it should always be self explanatory, there are simple commands that she follows at work, but Junie seems to require understanding what the overall picture should look like. So, hopefully a couple more times and she should have it figured out again.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts
It's so funny that I could come to your place where I have never been and know which of these horses was which and their names a fair bit of their history. :)

Yours look really distinctive - I'm still having trouble telling Izzy from Josie in @egrogan's photos, especially from a distance, so I am thinking of asking her to put different coloured ribbons in their tails for viewers' convenience or maybe to paint one of them with white stripes until I get the hang of it...

Because I've been away nearly a year I am struck by how the young horses have matured. Cash looks so impressive - is he coming up to age 5? He has to be around 4 at least by the look of him. I love the Shire horse/Clydie look he has about his arched neck and his face and in the heft of him. Also in his facial expression - that gentle giant Zen-ness that those Draught breeds have.

Is Bones well again? He was out with a leg injury last year, if I remember right. Queen has really grown tons and is so round with muscle! Maybe she could haul my plaster buckets for me when we finish the east wall this week. ;) Would sure save my arms from feeling like spaghetti for days, although we might have to replace the staircase after she goes up and down it a few times. 😜

Zeus looks like a complete Fjord horse now and your girls are now young ladies. I hope everyone is well and happy. How is your veggie garden - had any time for that? And your milking cow?

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,453 · (Edited)
Cash is actually six this year! I can’t believe how much time seems to just fly. Bones is good and sound in the moment… you know how Bones rolls. I could go out there today and he’d be out, but he’s been sound for quite a while now luckily.

My garden is planted but not sprouted yet. Mama is good, but I am having some difficulty with her. She has not cycled except for one time in October, five months after the twins were born. I had decided that since October was so late, I would keep her in milk a whole extra year, and have her bred come May of this year. Apparently many cows do not keep in milk if you try, but I did not know that. Luckily she has.

Well, Mama never cycled again. I guess twins can cause damage to a reproductive system. This brings me conflict, because I cannot retire a five year old cow. Yet, the idea of culling Mama really bothers me after all she’s done for me. She really is a good milk cow.

So, I’ve talked to my father, and he’s allowed for the idea of me putting her in with this year’s heifers come late fall. We will give her from late fall until May to begin cycling and be bred. I do believe the chance of just being a cow with a bunch of heifers could cause her to begin cycling again. She is on the obese side, so she could exercise and possibly bringing her weight down would start her cycle.

Do I have high hopes? No, not necessarily. I do however want to give her every chance possible before taking her to an auction. Veronica (one of the twins) is with a bull now, hopefully bred, and she will take next year’s milking. I think that if Mama cycled again and gets bred, I will be willing to sell Veronica as a started milk cow and make a little more money.

Betty was sold last week. I would have chosen her if I had known I had to keep one, but I’m sure Veronica and I will become close. You can’t help but be close to the milk cow.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,454 ·
Just for clarification- yes, last week I knew I was keeping one of them. Lol. I allowed Betty to be spoken for when she was still a calf on Mama. So, it wasn’t until last week that her new owner picked her up and paid for her. He had offered to pay me when she was a calf, but I didn’t want the money until she changed hands, just in case something were to happen to her. I preferred to continue owning her while she was on my place.

She matured beautifully! She kept a little of the heaviness of Mama, and she was brindle with perfect stripes. Veronica is black, and she is narrow like the jersey calls for. Theoretically the twins will be better milkers than their mother, although the beef cow in Mama has done some good I believe. She has never gotten milk fever, or shown any of the weaknesses prone to milk cows. She has gone to the extreme of keeping weight on. Lol. There is a lot I have appreciated about having the half angus breeding. The twins of course will only have a quarter, and I hope it keeps enough strength in them.

For some reason, milk cows don’t have any longevity around here. They get sick from this or that and die. Now, I can’t say Mama has longevity with this reproductive problem, but that is circumstantial.

·
Registered
8,883 Posts
I'm still having trouble telling Izzy from Josie in @egrogan's photos, especially from a distance, so I am thinking of asking her to put different coloured ribbons in their tails for viewers' convenience or maybe to paint one of them with white stripes until I get the hang of it...
Haha, you and me both @SueC. I can see the field out the windows at the back of the house, and I have to squint hard to figure it out. They are built pretty differently- Izzy is smaller and rounder, Josie is a bit more swan necked and a little leggier. Add Fizz being in a brownish buckskin phase right now, and sometimes I think she's Josie and vice versa. They're roughly the same height, though Fizz is heavier built. They all have different fly masks on, and that's what I'm defaulting to- Josie has blue ears, Fizz has mint green ears, and Izzy has grey ears.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,456 ·
Queen

The day was beautiful when the woman caught the little mare. She had been napping, but when she heard the woman coming she ambled up and trotted over. She loved being used, and worried about missing the chance.

The woman worked on her feet first off, for after cleaning them she noticed much dead sole had sluffed. That surprised her as she thought she had taken the feet down fairly short. It was hot to work on feet, but she was pleased when they were finished. They looked good, and since she hadn’t taken almost any live sole, she felt fine to saddle her up.

The did some warm ups, and the woman couldn’t help but notice how pretty the yard had become. It was green and lush, freshly mowed and weeded, and nothing seemed out of place. The mare felt fairly mellow, so she rode her over to the worked up area to ride.

The worked up area was beside the road, and right across the road were two men working on a drip line with their side by side. The filly watched them somewhat intently, but soon decided they had nothing to do with her. They warmed up a bit more, and the woman asked the mare to lope a circle.

The little mare still let her know how she felt about circles by pinning her ears and curling her neck for the break into a lope, but she carried her lope around as if she had always loped circles well. They loped each direction, occasionally practicing a stop and rolling back into the opposite direction. The woman was proud of the fancy filly, and took time to rub on her neck whenever they stopped.

She decided to run her first makeshift reining pattern on the little mare, and besides during the take offs, the mare didn’t argue. She did the pattern surprisingly well, and she held herself proud as the woman fawned over her.

When they finished, the woman rode the mare out and down the pivot rode, and she let her pick some of the long green timothy growing there. She was happy. The day was stunning and the filly was excellent.

Once unsaddled, the mare was disappointed to be led back into the corral, and occasionally stalled out to let her feelings be known. The woman was a little sad to end the ride as well, but there were other things to be done.

·
Registered
8,508 Posts

What a lovely colour she is - and those markings! :love: I was thinking she looks like she was putting knee-high socks on in the morning but ran out of the house in such excitement about where she was going that day, that she forgot to put on the last one. 🙂

I'm sorry to hear about your milking cow's breeding problems. Perhaps you need to plough potatoes with her for half a year so she can slim down a bit and maybe cycle again, while also earning her keep! ;) Running with the other cattle could be just the ticket, fingers crossed. She was a bit like the princess in the castle as the milking cow.

I've never seen a brindle cow before! Must be a striking colour. Veronica sounds nice too though, all-black with Jersey features. If Mama Pepper came good and we were any closer geographically I might be tempted to buy Veronica off you if she was for sale. I think it's sensible to have a bit of non-milking cow in your homestead cow, because of hybrid vigour and because I think dairy lines are overbred and too highly producing for their own good.

Best wishes for the garden. I'm halfway through planting my winter veggies, but about two weeks behind where I want to be because I keep having guests and we're plastering! I've got radishes and broccoli and onions sprouting out of doors, with a new thing I've never seen before and had to try - seeds embedded in paper tape at the correct intervals (but double so you can thin to the best ones). Makes seeding a bit easier and also seems to suppress weed seeds. I've transplanted rocket, mizuna, spinach, silverbeet and other broccoli from greenhouse seedlings, and have got peas and broad beans half a foot high, although I need to put in a lot more!

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,458 ·
I’m sure your garden will be lovely @SueC! It always is stunning.

I’d be happy to sell her to you if you were closer and Mama comes back into cycling. I do hope she does, as I love her. She has turned into the perfect cow, in all reality. I didn’t know that twins could damage a reproductive system. I knew in horses, but I thought in cows it was fine. Then I read a couple articles and had to think about it more clearly.

We don’t know who has twins in the main herd. We just find a twin. We can make guesses, like I did this year. I think I know Itty’s twin, because there is a perfectly matching little heifer. I wanted to mark her so I would know her come fall and compete Itty against her, but they wouldn’t let me. Lol. So, when a cow comes in open she is sold. There is no looking into why, or knowing if she did have a prior set of twins.

2441 - 2460 of 2492 Posts