The Horse Forum banner
2461 - 2480 of 2492 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,461 ·
@TrainedByMares Mama is 1/2 angus, 1/4 jersey, and 1/4 brown Swiss. She is an interesting mix. Lol

What happened was my aunt owned her mother. Her mother was the 1/2 jersey 1/2 brown Swiss. When they went to AI her she wouldn’t catch, and they ran out of milk bred semen. So, the AI girl had some angus left and used that. When she offered me Mama I hesitated. How could a 1/2 angus milk enough to be useful as a milk cow? Well, she has done excellent for me!

I think a lot of her production comes from the quality of feed she gets. She gets fed like a milk cow should, but the angus in her puts all that weight on. Never has there been an obese milk cow until her. Too much is put into the milk, and often they are scrawny and in poor shape. Even an angus cow tends to lose a lot of weight raising a calf, but they aren’t on that kind of feed.

I did diet Mama when she was pregnant with the twins, but she never really lost any. I think the only way she could lose is to exercise, but her pen is small and there is really no way for her to do that. Living with the heifers she will get to move a lot. She was a fat calf though too. Whatever angus bull they used was wonderful to make such a big and healthy looking 1/2 breed.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,462 ·
To be honest, Mama is really lazy natured too. I don’t know if she’ll exercise at all with the heifers. She prefers laying in her barn. She gets up to go eat, and sleeps the rest of the time. I imagine she will sleep all the time with the heifers too. She will have a little farther to walk to water, but not enough for it to count. She will miss her barn. She loves her barn.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,464 ·
Lol. Ya, they don’t look like mama. You can catch the milk cow in the shape of their eye. If they have a big soft eye, usually some jersey is hiding in there. That will drop your sell money. I’ve gotten one of her calves sold just fine as a beef calf. ;)

If you want, you can pm me and I’ll give you my phone number if your worried. You could text me a pic of what you want and I could tell you if there is something wrong with it maybe. I might notice an illness or something off.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,468 ·
Thanks @kewpalace! I actually was out of frame for all her best stops! Lol. That’s the way it works. I think she’s going to be really fancy, but we will see. I need to be single cowing her, but I am trying to get ready for a trip I’m leaving on tomorrow, so I’ve been feeling a bit like I don’t have the time. Hopefully when I get back we can start really focusing on it.

I’m worried all the progress we’ve made might have to be restarted when I get back, but oh well. She can use some time off. I can only imagine how fat she’ll be! Lol. She gains like you can’t believe, and nine days off is going to show I’m sure.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,470 ·
Thanks @COWCHICK77! That makes me super happy!!!

He did grow up didn’t he? They are really excited about him. He’s an interesting colt. He has him doing great things from the ground, but he’s oddly gentle. He’s gentle and jumpy both, so it’s interesting. I think he’s going to be nice. I think dad thinks he’ll end up being a horse who works for mom!

·
Registered
7,843 Posts
Does your husband want you to start Peanut early now like I did Queen @COWCHICK77?
He does or at least put a few rides on her this fall then turn her back out until spring. Plus she's going to be big, she'll be able to handle it.

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,474 ·
I am back! The wind is crazy today though, so no riding yet. I thought I would do a quick update on Oakley. While I was gone she tore up her ear. Here is the pic husband sent me, and it looks pretty rough last night when I saw her, but I think it will heal without any obvious damage.
Cat Felidae Carnivore Terrestrial animal Small to medium-sized cats

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,476 ·
@Ruth McClure I have no idea. I’m thinking maybe where the panels come together? It seems a pretty safety conscious corral. It is possible it was Lucy, but I’m doubting she would do that to her own filly. Here is today.
Head Horse Eye Sky Fence

·
Premium Member
6,619 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2,479 ·
I think it will heal completely. If it scars it does, but I don’t think it will. We’ve had a lot of ear injuries in our main corral. Zeus is just too rough. Queens was as bad as hers at one point, and you would never know looking at her today. I have a fear that Zeus will eventually bite an ear off completely.

2461 - 2480 of 2492 Posts