The Horse Forum banner

1341 - 1360 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,341
@Caledonian I guess I’ve never had the luck to have anything very slick. Lucy is probably the slickest we own. Her fur is so soft and baby like... she has always had a tb look to me. She is even bred to do things like jump, although she is a qh. I think she’d be a dream dressage horse with her natural bounce, but she does good as a cowhorse anyways.

I imagine the filly I am going to pick up will have as heavy of hair as any. Cashman has fairly heavy hair. He’s a happier cold weather horse than hot. He’s not as hairy as Zeus, but Zeus and the buffalo are pretty close in hair!

I’ve been riding Cash around bareback. He is just as good and the warmth through my pants is awfully nice on these cold days.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,342
I am still trying to get used to this new format.

We took family photos with my sister-in-law, who is a world class photographer. I can’t wait to see them! I was supposed to trick ride in some of them, but Cash did something like twist his ankle. He’s not particularly lame, but enough to make it not work out for anything fancy. He was fine to stand there or walk around, but not lope around. I’m hoping a couple days off sees him back to sound.

Another exciting thing... I came to get my filly! I picked her out and paid, and I pick her up in the morning. I don’t have pictures yet, but she’s fancy and I’m excited!

Hopefully I’ll have pictures soon on here of our family ones and her!!

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
I imagine the filly I am going to pick up will have as heavy of hair as any.
Please excuse me, @Knave, either I missed something or my memory has dropped data. I read the next post and see you have a new arrival! :cool: My mind remains blank as foot-deep snow... o_O The other day, in fact, I forgot my breadmaker had pastry in it I wanted to take out to make chocolate nut horns, so it baked a loaf out of the pastry. By the time I realised it, it was halfway through the baking cycle and unable to be recovered for its purpose, but I'd turned the machine off at the power point and it refused to turn the bake cycle back on because it was hot. So I had to put it in the oven to finish it off (will make bread and butter pudding or brioche toast, as it's brioche pastry...), and ten minutes later I completely forgot that I had done this and wondered why I had left the oven on for an hour after taking out our foldover pizzas. I only realised when I'd already turned it off that there was something in it... 🥴

So, what's this about a new horse? (Maybe I need to read back?) Looking forward to the photos already.

Cashman has fairly heavy hair. He’s a happier cold weather horse than hot. He’s not as hairy as Zeus, but Zeus and the buffalo are pretty close in hair!
🤣 🤪 🤗 (these emojis just aren't the same...😤)

I’ve been riding Cash around bareback. He is just as good and the warmth through my pants is awfully nice on these cold days.
Hahaha, I remember what that was like in the snowy winters in Europe when I was a kid! A horse is like an electric blanket...

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,344
@SueC I didn’t really say anything about her I don’t think. I was trying not to count my chickens...

They gathered our range. This isn’t something I’ve ever remembered happening, but there never were the horses built up on it like now. I had been saying for years that if they every gathered it I would buy a horse.

I didn’t expect it to be so soon, but I imagine it will be years before it happens again, so I jumped on it. They didn’t let you pick up a horse there, so I had been waiting for them to process them and wean. I wanted a weanling because Cash is still so young and I want to keep focusing on him.

i have this romantic notion I guess. I imagine she will be a part of me. She is a part of the land that I am a part of. She should know it even better than I do. She should know about the holes and about how to climb it.

I know it’s a silly thought, but I am owning it. ;)

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
@Knave, is it mustangs that are gathered (by BLM or ??), or is it ranch horses that have been left out and gathered by ranchers? Can't wait to see the pictures.

I don't think it's a silly thought that she will be connected to the land in a different way than the other horses. It will be fascinating to see how that plays out eventually. Can't wait to see the pictures!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,346
Just to add, because I am excited, she looks drafty to me. I was going to avoid another very big horse, but I read this performance dressage article. It explained how to pick a foal as a prospect. It of course was written for the person looking to get into a higher bred animal for a better price.

Opposite of my plan, but I did want to push towards a more athletic foal. We picked out a few, and then we went into the corral and watched them move. It was hard to judge; even in the corral it took binoculars. This filly was my favorite in looks, but I was surprised to see that she moved far better than any of my lighter built choices. Many of them drug their feet, but hers are picked up and set down with intention. She is a bit more upward, and when they ran she was always a leader. She could stretch out big and run effortlessly.

So, maybe she will be massive like Cash, but for now she is an athlete. She is a feathery and flashy looking beast. They called her brown, but I am worried she may be grey. I will get over it if she is I guess. Lol

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,347
@egrogan they are blm mustangs. It was fun to pick a colt out of such a big selection. There was this silly bay stud colt. He ran and ran. He bucked and played and picked on everyone around him. The hours we were there he never stopped! Lol. I was not interested, but husband laughed at his ambition and trouble making.

There was this dainty palomino. She had the tiniest head, and her bones were refined. She must have even been a tad younger, or her mother had no milk. She was pot bellied and always nearest to us. I had her on my list. She was just a dolly. When she moved though she kept that little awkward outsider barely keeping up perspective.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,348
Not great pictures, but she’s in the trailer and a bit freaked out. What do you guys think? Grey or brown?

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
That thought about being part of the land and all that is not a silly thought. I feel the connection with the earth too, and the place we're on has grown on me so much I wish I could be buried here and become part of it when I die. It's gotten in my bones...

She's lovely, @Knave, and I wonder what you'll end up calling her! Athletic with a bit of solid is great, I think. Sunsmart is much more solid than my Arabian was, but just as athletic. He's not quite as able to turn on a thread, but he's stronger, and that matters to me a lot these days because he's so well able to carry my weight with little effort, and I don't unbalance him even hanging off his side.

She looks great physically and her facial expression suggests she's clever and personable. I think you'll have fun with this one.

Grey or not - could go either way, she's still in her foal coat. The thing to look for is stippling next to her blaze. Are there white hairs around its border, in the brown hair? If so, are there more closer to the blaze than further away? That can be telltale, and if the stippling increases after her next coat change you can be pretty certain she's going grey. Some horses have a little stippling around the white areas without going grey, but it stays the same (except in old age, then they just get very stippled).

Here's a re-post of photos of my Arabian mare and how she greyed out.

My eventually fleabitten grey mare at birth:

At age two (note the stippling around her blaze, that's what you're looking for):

At age six:

At age 10:

At age 27:

Intermediate to the photos of her at six and ten was a stage where her coat had greyed out like in the ridden photo, but her mane and tail were still jet black.

My mare was a heterozygous grey - one grey gene, one bay gene - and greyed out slowly. Homozygous greys (two grey genes) generally grey out totally or near-totally by maturity.

If your lovely filly goes grey, you don't have to cry! :)

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,351
@SueC She greyed so slowly and then all at once! (I know what that reminds us two of. Lol.) I don’t think I saw any greying on her face. She has grey hairs all around, but I wonder if it is just her foal coat.

I’m going to call her Queen.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,353
Queen

Much had changed for the little horse in a short time. She was born on the mountain, and her mother was teaching her to make a living there. Suddenly however she was taken from there along with the herd.

It took a month for them to process the herd, and then again life changed suddenly. One day she was weaned and ran through the chutes where she was branded and vaccinated. Three days later they ran her in again, sorted her from the weanling pen and ran through the chute and into a trailer.

Although nervous, she studied the goings on from the window as they traveled. She saw shoppers and road workers, and many little things to keep her mind occupied.

After the longest trip they arrived home. It was in the valley under the mountains she knew, and that was comforting.

The man and the woman and her father all discussed matters outside of the trailer, and they decided it would be best to work on halter breaking the wild little animal before moving her into a corral.

Queen was quick to give to the halter when they tied her up, and quick to allow their hands to run through the long winter hair on her neck and face. She rubbed her ear back against the soothing hand of the woman. She could easily come to enjoy the hands running over her and the affection she felt.

She took no convincing when the woman offered her a handful of hay, and she played in the water bucket lifted into her reach. She never pulled the rope tight when the woman later tied a hay bag up for her to consider. She quickly ate from the bag as though it were nothing new, watching through the window at the happenings in the new place.

If the feeling of correctness fell over the filly as it did the woman, the woman wouldn’t know. She did know the filly was oddly content with her situation and that convinced the woman that she belonged there all along.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,354
With the changes they need a laugh button @SueC! I was thinking along the lines of Ruth, but yes, royalty was my theory. A queen however requires more dignity than a princess. Lol

I was also thinking this funny thought. She could be a drag queen as well. That made me laugh and laugh because I would love her to be the queen of dragging in calves at branding time.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
Love your new filly. I surely will enjoy reading how she grows up.

I was in my 20's when I bought my appaloosa yearling. She was a beautiful bay with a large white blanket and black polka dots on the blanket. I didn't know much about the graying gene. I raised her and trained her and had lots of fun with her.

One day, at a horseshow, the judge kept saying, "Move up the gray." I was happily sitting on my mare, wondering who was getting moved up. The judge repeated, and then repeated again, while I sat quietly. The girl next to me said, "She is talking to you!"

"What?" My mare is bay, not gray. That was when I realized she had started turning gray and I hadn't realized it. She ended up white, but kept all the black polka dots.

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,358
I love that @knightrider. She is a beauty. I will be quite lucky if Queen is anything like your or @SueC’s mares.

I called her “the grey horse” when she was in the herd. My husband was so lost at what horse the man and I kept talking about. I didn’t think about how horses grey later. It was that general color that I was calling grey, but the boss man believed she would in fact be grey.

I know everyone argues about there not being white horses, but the number of white white foals was surprising. I had almost convinced myself I wanted an albino foal watching that magical mare on the mountain, but presented with all of the foals they seemed less attractive.

The fillies had weaker builds, and their eyes were squinty. I am realizing that “white” horses are much more attractive when they were first grey. (There was a stud or two who may have been attractive, but I was after a mare so I quickly looked away when I noticed a stud.)

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
@SueC, that's not me in the photo. It is just some random girl that my jousting partner invited out to ride. If you read the novel I posted in the "Horse Stories and Poems" section of Horse Forum, you can read about all the idiot girls I had to deal with when we were working on joust shows. The white appaloosa in the photo was our best beginner horse. She let anyone ride her. The riderless horse (me off taking the photo) was Shadow, the mud colored horse, who tossed anyone else who tried to ride her. (Ask me how I know this).

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
The other thing is that grey horses have mostly dark, pigmented skin under that eventually white hair, so don't get so sun damaged. Albino horses can get terribly burnt noses, ears etc - unpigmented skin...

Probably that horse looked squinty because the eyes are generally unprotected by melanin too (albino horses have blue eyes). All that UV and no melanin to protect them...

My mare was a lovely riding and endurance mare, but I doubt she would have been much good at roping - she was 14.2hh and had finely boned legs - for some reason I'm imagining that a more solid type of athletic horse with a bit of heft would be better for that than a fine-boned endurance athlete?

Your filly looks lovely and will surely grow into a grand horse. 🥰

1341 - 1360 of 1389 Posts