The Horse Forum banner

1361 - 1380 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,361
It would surprise you what some of the fine boned horses are capable of doing roping wise @SueC! One of my favorite horses ever, Runt, was a dainty little thing. She was tough as nails though. Bones is small too, and an excellent puller, but not a great brander because he gets so claustrophobic.

I think though that it is more fun to brand on a horse like Cash. It seems like little work to him and he doesn’t worry about it, where the littler fine boned horses need to limit themselves a bit.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
@SueC, that's not me in the photo. It is just some random girl that my jousting partner invited out to ride. If you read the novel I posted in the "Horse Stories and Poems" section of Horse Forum, you can read about all the idiot girls I had to deal with when we were working on joust shows. The white appaloosa in the photo was our best beginner horse. She let anyone ride her. The riderless horse (me off taking the photo) was Shadow, the mud colored horse, who tossed anyone else who tried to ride her. (Ask me how I know this).
Sadly, I was wearing my glasses! :eek: And sometimes I confuse @Knave with her own daughters! :oops:

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Before I clicked on the photos to see them large (I'm on a laptop so it's really really large), I was thinking, "I wonder did she put Queen in with a buffalo?" and yes... 🤪

And look at the expressions on the faces of the other horses! 😍

Your new filly's colouring is very reminiscent of Shire Horse / Clydesdale colouring (and I have a huge soft spot for those breeds... 🥰

Speaking of, I discovered something this morning that you might enjoy too:

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,365
That was so cool @SueC! She does look like a shire! I think she’s going to be a super hairy horse too, with the feathers and the long mane and tail!

Attachments

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,367
Wow, she's a stout thing isn't she? Beautiful ... can't wait to see her in the spring. Love her roomie ... so cute! She does look grey to me, too; but hoping it's her foal coat. I love her coloring now. Congrats @Knave!
Thank you!!! She is a stout thing for sure. I’m not sure how cute the roomie is... I guess she’s cute, but she really has a terrible attitude. I’ve used buffalo to cut before, but I’ve never just been around them. They are so stinking wild!

·
Registered
2,295 Posts
Yea, buffalo are not known to be cute and cuddly; but the babies are cute to me, LOL. I was watching one of the vet shows on Animal Planet and some guy there switched from cows to buffalo. Said they were a "learning curve", LOL, since they were nothing like cows. It was interesting to watch them put the buffalo in the stocks to vaccinate & ear tag them - when the stocks are not built for a buffalo build. I think only a few got out, but all of them rocked it big time; would not be surprised if they bent it. They are fun to work though ... quick little boogers!

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,371
@kewpalace Queen moved out of her corral today, and Teeter was throwing a massive fit almost tying to dig out and roll under to get to Queen. Apparently she loved her.

@egrogan they are for meat and hides as far as I know.The man who owns her gave me a beautiful hide that covers my bed. Lots of people like to eat them, but not me. They aren’t my favorite. I think it’s because we had a 1/3 given to us once and replaced our meat with it because we were out at that ranch... it got old fast. Teeter’s owner sells meat and even bull hunts.

@gottatrot I hope so! I was kinda thinking she might just be a roan in her winter coat.

I got some of our pictures today!!!
7A6CA9B1-5797-468A-9E88-56583A2B658B.jpeg
77694F4D-67EB-46D7-96BF-7A7EE72CF90F.jpeg
32610345-2F2C-4AF7-977E-377BFC164B9A.jpeg
B998793E-B862-4277-BF92-42515459DEFC.jpeg

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,375
Thank you @egrogan!! She has more to give me; it was a sneak peek. I am interested to see if she managed to get any cool trick riding pictures, but little girl and Zeus were struggling and Cash had a twisted ankle! I couldn’t do much of anything because I was worried about him and I couldn’t balance anyways.

@gottatrot I had to laugh and look back. He does look a bit offset doesn’t he? I thought they would all look mismatched. Cash is a giant and Zeus is a Zeus... Bones is a dainty cowhorse... Lucy is the supermodel. Yet, somehow she managed to pull them together better than I figured. It was a bit of a funny thing in my head. When I brought home Queen the girls really laughed about how odd our corral has become.

I think he’s cute too though @lb27312. He wasn’t being particularly cute for pictures. He was antsy... he isn’t used to going new places. He was supposed to later be a prop for pictures for some little kids, but we ended up using Cash instead. I would have never thought last year that it would have been Cash I filled holes with!

We were trying to kind of recreate these family pictures we took in 2013. They are the only family pictures we ever took before these. Beamer is the only horse we still have! That horse Partner I talked about in one of my last stories is owned by my parents. He’s the little bay horse I am on. The horse called General that I often talk about moved on to be a kid’s horse when he got ringbone, and he had to be put down here recently I heard. He’s the big bay horse little girl is on. The bay husband is riding is called Charlie. He never liked Charlie who was a gift from my father. He sold him to finally be done with him and I am sure they are both much happier. I hear rumors that he is considered quite the animal by many people in that circle.
BA2FA9CC-4A7C-49B7-93C8-16474FCE66A2.jpeg
2D804BED-9CED-4032-A278-6450E0D821ED.jpeg

·
Registered
7,298 Posts
Wow gorgeous pics!
But in the group shot Zeus stands out a little, ha ha. It's like a family of tall supermodels with their supermodel horses, and....then there's Zeus. Of course he probably believes he is the most handsome of all.
I think at least a few of us are the right age to remember this song- this is the first thing I thought when seeing sweet Zeus looking proud out there on the end.

·
Registered
8,084 Posts
Those are seriously beautiful photographs, @Knave! 🤩 🤗 😍 🦀 🌈 🌞

You're gonna have to find a new moniker for "little girl" though, because she has stopped being little! :) You're all looking wonderful. People, horses, dog. Great backdrops and superbly photographed... when you get more, please please share! 😀

·
Registered
3,253 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,380
Little girl and I laughed at that @egrogan! Now I’m always going to be thinking that. Lol

@Caledonian and @knightrider thank you! You are right @SueC... maybe I should just call her Zeus’s girl. She is as tall as I am now at 5’7”! She might even be a bit taller than that now. She wished she would stay short, but I don’t think that is happening for her. Big girl is 5’10” now! She is hoping to be over 6 when she’s grown. Lol

The baby Queen is taking to everything well. She is fingertip light on the halter, and she still wants to be a lover. I did notice she seems quick to hold a grudge. Husband was holding her the first day and she hit the end of the rope and flipped over. She didn’t hit it hard, but she even wanted to be light then. Now she is leery of him.

I also noticed she doesn’t behave herself with other horses. I tied her to the trailer yesterday and then ponied her just a bit. She was fine being ponied, but at the trailer she would run her butt back into Cash and Lucy. She wouldn’t click or show any sort of respect. Lucy almost seemed intimidated by her even! I guess she knows she is a queen!
49F123DC-8A15-4446-BB4A-29CC0E7A9892.jpeg
4CD11922-A10E-4BAF-BA8A-D1AF93F72D01.jpeg

1361 - 1380 of 1389 Posts