The Horse Forum banner

1381 - 1389 of 1389 Posts

·
Registered
8,091 Posts
Awww, just beautiful! 🥰 You know, both Cash and Queen are horses I immediately saw the appeal of, and would have taken on myself as "riding replacements" for when my own horse retires. You've got a good eye for a nice horse. 😎

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,382
Awww, just beautiful! 🥰 You know, both Cash and Queen are horses I immediately saw the appeal of, and would have taken on myself as "riding replacements" for when my own horse retires. You've got a good eye for a nice horse. 😎
Thank you!! I really am excited about Queen. I also am in love with Cash. He is my friend and he tries to do his job well and tolerates my nonsense. Lol.

I did get more pictures today!
94103C9E-B1C4-4683-B4AA-8F7D2061FFE0.jpeg
BC59C375-D393-4029-BE12-77BFF9486890.jpeg
CC686391-7C50-4036-87A1-A15029C3B78A.jpeg
92C5020D-E9A8-47D7-BFFB-9CAE0D523CAB.jpeg
4FF8EE31-CCA9-4428-BA30-B3C8FC481B77.jpeg
7DC43F6B-B974-4711-B830-1394F46FBF6F.jpeg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,384
;) @bsms all of my loping trick pictures looked that way! Poor Cash had twisted his ankle and he had a gimp. So, I felt guilty asking him to move out anyways, and then I couldn’t balance, so I had my knees super bent. I do that trotting always, but I try and straighten up loping!

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,385
Cashman, Lucy and Queen

As easy as the young filly seemed to learn, and as polite as she was with humans, her reactions towards other horses was nothing less than rude. It was an odd idea to the woman, for Queen had been raised on the mountain in an overly large herd of horses. She hadn’t stood out in the corrals as a mean type, but they hadn’t had much time to study her.

The woman wondered if the mother of the little filly was a lead mare, and if she had refused anyone disciplining her perfect foal. Lucy had protected Zeus in a manner which allowed him to misbehave in the herd, and he in turn became quite the bully. The idea was the only that made any sense to her.

Queen was tied next to the woman’s beast of a horse as she walked over to bridle him. Barely did she miss the hoof directed towards the big horse’s face. It wasn’t the first time the filly offered to kick one of the older horses. She did not click her teeth and ask for forgiveness, but she gave orders as if she were a lead mare already.

“That’s what you get for naming her Queen,” the man scolded later as he stepped onto his own mare who believed herself royalty. “I warned you it was a bad idea!” Lucy herself was leery of the fancy colored filly when the woman handed over her lead rope. Cash was already angry with the baby. He tended to be overly tolerant with younger animals, but she had bitten his flank and made him squeal.

A short while later as they trotted along the outside of the field she set back and kicked again at the big horse. His irritation was beginning to flow out around him, and soon he was loping circles to take his mind off of his anger. Lucy bit at the young tyrant at her side, but only at the request of the man. The filly made her nervous, which was rather unlike the mare who loved ordering her corral mates around. She herself was known for an attitude, and people were warned to keep new horses at a distance from the beauty.

Now though it was odd to see her intimidated by the little animal. Queen did seem however to enjoy her outing. The cows only intrigued her, and to the dogs running around she paid no mind. She stopped tormenting the mare after a few bites, but she never showed fear. She was proud as a queen ought to be.

She was perfect when the woman worked with her after their return. She rather enjoyed the company of the humans. She belonged with them. The other horses forgot their annoyance after some brushing and fawning over. In time the filly would join their own herd, and it would play out as it should.
027A794F-F226-49F1-B9CE-8CD19387304F.jpeg
421D7DA6-66D0-49DD-88D6-8D95C425042E.jpeg

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,387
@SueC I’ve been threatening her about it! If Cash won’t do anything to scold her ponying I don’t even know how long I’ll manage the idea! We were going to put Lucy in with her, but I don’t even know that she’ll deal with the problem... I also am hesitant because she bullies when I am catching Cash and I don’t want to deal with that if she does get Queen scared of her. I will have to do something though soon enough.

If whatever I do doesn’t work, I’ll bring Zeus in. No one runs a Zeus.

Oh, I forgot, it’s been since Tuesday. We didn’t get home until later on Tuesday though. She really is learning exceptionally fast!

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
Interesting, the Mustang filly Bibi that I helped train dominated all the other horses. In the picture she is three. We were told she was dominant as a yearling in a large herd. At three she was only 13.3 hands.

She also tried to dominate people, but became accepting of us over time. She always bossed other horses and would trap and kick them. We stopped ponying her because the only horse who would do it became cranky about it.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,389
@gottatrot she is pretty colored! That is funny. I am glad Queen doesn’t seem to even consider that with humans. I do think, or maybe hope, that the other horses will change that attitude given the opportunity.

We always joke that we have a pen of sharks. It isn’t true with Bones or Beamer, but the other three are vicious. I think Bones would have been, but they were so mean to him in his youth when he came into the corral that he never got over it. They bullied him for a couple weeks hard. I figured they knew what they were doing, but it was sad to watch him get his lesson.

Obviously the horses who ruled over Bones are now gone, but that type of intense corral management has stuck around. I wonder if maybe the two horses were leery of Queen more out of respect for our rules realizing she has an attitude. This would be the first colt training Cash has done, and although Lucy helped with Zeus she had already lived with him for some time. Maybe they just feel like they are obligated to follow the rules of ponying an older horse...

I hope anyways. I guess though if she stays a boss like your Bibi did that will be fine too. She will eventually learn she’s not allowed to bully when she’s being worked with, or when someone else is. That took Lucy long enough. Lol

1381 - 1389 of 1389 Posts