The Horse Forum banner

1421 - 1440 of 1477 Posts

·
Registered
2,410 Posts
off Wikipedia: "Bison temperament is often unpredictable. They usually appear peaceful, unconcerned, even lazy, yet they may attack anything, often without warning or apparent reason. They can move at speeds up to 56 km/h (35 mph) and cover long distances at a lumbering gallop.
This is why people get pummeled by buffalo in Yellowstone NP. When I went to Yellowstone, they handed out a flyer when you go in that says to stay away from the buffalo; they WILL charge you. I asked the Ranger did they really have a problem with people and buffalo? He just rolled his eyes and said, "you have NO idea."

@Knave - love your Teeter stories; she's adorable. I love buffalo - especially babies - but have no desire to have one, LOL. I'm happy to watch your videos, see your pix and read your stories. Thanks!

·
Registered
541 Posts
Wow @Knave that's a cool pic. Very interesting on the buffalo...

Your new girl is super cute! Can't wait to hear about her adventures..

@SueC - over here there's always someone that wants to pet the buffalos in Yellowstone thinking they move slow and are docile but they end up trampled and blaming the animal... they move quicker than people think they do.

Hahaha @kewpalace was typing the same thing I was...

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,424
Lol @kewpalace and @lb27312, definitely it’s about great minds! I never think about them in Yellowstone. I try and imagine them being hunted back before rifles and I can’t even imagine! I’ve cut buffalo working for trainers, or one year when my parents owned a couple for cutting, and they seemed nothing like Teeter. I guess I was only around them in a herd of cows and they were broke to be cutting animals.

We were laughing last night about if you could ride a Buffalo (with intention, not like on Yellowstone). Husband saw someone who rode a buffalo once. We decided they probably would never be trustworthy. They are just too naturally wild... like the hottest horse one has met, but maybe Teeter is a unique type. My uncle said they are like a mule, and they decide who they are and they stick with it forever.

I had to zap Teeter with the hot shot. She is getting a bit too, I don’t want to say friendly, but I guess unafraid, of me. If anyone else walks out there she panics and tries to blow through the fences. With me she has become a bit playful, but also almost ready to try and defy me. I couldn’t get her off my cow anymore, so you can picture me standing awkwardly and reaching as far out as I could and really hoping to not get kicked... lol

·
Registered
5,747 Posts
That is the greatest pic!

There is a guy who comes to rodeos around here with a couple bison and they run up on top of a specially modified flatbed. He rides up there with his horse and twirls his rope while they drive through the parade. I was worried the bison would jump off.

The last time we were in Yellowstone, a guy was taking a selfie super close to a big male bison. I could see the bison's breathing change at times and I tried to get DH out of the area ASAP. I did not want the dilemma of helping with a trauma that was caused by such stupidity.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,426
Hahahahahaha! That made me laugh. I always figure the buffalo selfies gone wrong are pretend. Lol. I wonder about the self preservation instinct in some people.

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
Is she charging the photographer???

How old is this thing? I find it hard to tell, compared to cattle, but you got her to raise with your cow because orphaned, is that right? ...in which case, what did your cow think about that?

·
Registered
8,161 Posts
...buffalo selfies: Darwin would call that natural selection... I think we should actually encourage people to take selfies with bison, and to try to pet them - it would do much to improve the human gene pool, by removing people of high gullibility, low intelligence, arrogance about other species, and faulty self-preservation instincts... 😇 🥳 🙌

I was looking to see if anyone has a pet bison they ride, but couldn't find anything in the time I spent on it. However, I did find information on ostrich riding, which I will share for general amusement.

In case the timing command doesn't work for this clip, go to 6:00 minutes to get to ostriches and ostrich riding. The preliminaries to the actual ride are quite fun.

Also there's this: How to Ride an Ostrich - Eventing Nation - Three-Day Eventing News, Results, Videos, and Commentary

The first thing to know is that riding an ostrich is nothing like riding a horse. But a quick side-by-side comparison, horse vs. ostrich, will show you why they are different.

Look into a horse’s eyes. You might see affection, indifference, loathing, fear–whatever it is, you’ll see something. You’ll sense that somewhere behind those eyes there’s a functioning brain, making decisions that might occasionally be described as rational.

Look into a ostrich’s eyes, and you’ll be able to check your hairdo. That’s about it.
😄 🤪

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,430
@SueC she is getting to be about 2 and a half months old I think. Mama Pepper wanted her originally, and now she tolerates her, but I don’t think she likes her much. She would probably prefer not. It did me one favor though. Pepper withheld the cream from me for the calves, but now that it’s only Teeter she prefers for me to have it. Lol

She wasn’t really charging me... yet... she was kinda play threatening me, and she charged the jump forward only to jump back. The next night was when I needed the hot shot. She was considering seeing if she could push me around I think. I won’t tolerate it though. She will have to go if she scares me, and she would live fine now, but she would end up kinda stunted from being weaned too early.

I do appreciate the lack of waste. I know I will eventually have to figure out how to make cheeses and that sort of thing, but for now i milk what I need and what the people who take milk from me need, and the rest goes to her.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,431
Queen and Cashman

The prior day all three, the woman and her two horses, were off. The each seemed filled with an attitude that she blamed on the moon. The dogs even were on edge, barking and growling for what seemed no apparent reason. Queen spooked a couple of times, and when she rode the big horse he wanted to stretch out and run, and he spooked at invisible creatures himself.

This day however, it seemed they had each gone to the opposite extreme. The big horse loped along in the day, which although the temperature read cold, felt warm and inviting. The woman played music and sang aloud to the ravens who flew next to her. The big horse seemed to time his footsteps with the music, and joy flowed all around them.

Queen called to her after she led the big horse back to his corral. She wanted to go, as she always seemed to. The woman decided to ask the filly to allow her a big step forward. She pulled the rasp from the tack room and picked up the filly’s first hoof.

Queen went along easily with getting her feet trimmed. Once, confused, she began to lay down. The woman quietly released her leg, and she sat half laid down for a bit, wondering if that was what she was supposed to do. She was kindhearted where the woman was concerned. She wanted to please and stayed calm when things went wrong.

They all seemed pleased with their day. The woman hoped the joyful feeling and the warmth would continue through the rest of it.

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,434
Cashman, Bones and Zeus

The snow fell off and on for two days. It seemed that it had been a long time since the ground was covered with its heavy white blanket. School seemed to progress quickly for the girls sitting over their books, and when the sun came out in the afternoon the woman asked if they wanted to skip PE and play outside.

She brought the three horses in that she wanted while the girls dressed warm and got the inner tube tied up with help of their father on his lunch break. Cashman was her first choice, as he was her favorite.

It was a first for the big horse, and he arched his neck and his muscles tensed. When the woman finally dallied off on the tube with the girl perched upon it he snorted, walking sideways until the pressure met his saddle. He understood with the pressure what he was to do, and the nervous energy melted out of his body. He pulled the girls each around slowly at first and then his big lope was followed by gleeful screams.

She changed horses fairly quickly, because he was just learning and it wasn’t a particularly easy task. Bones was thrilled to be back out for his favorite game, and the excitement rolled off of him. He loved making the girls scream, and he quickly was warmed up enough to run big circles. He wasn’t allowed the time he wished however; he was out of shape and no one wanted to see him hurt.

Zeus had little experience with the idea either, but his mind was quick to figure it out. He learned to add just the right amount of speed and turn to send the tube sliding along beside him fast. It was his type of work, all about play and joy. He tired around the time the woman took him in and traded back to the big horse.

Cashman pulled the girls in more circles, and he pulled them both as they piled together behind him. He was stronger than the other horses, and he took the job with a seriousness that matched all of his other jobs. He seemed to enjoy the snow and the work. The girls certainly enjoyed their moment of freedom.
B4323849-04D1-43F1-AAC3-DC4EDF4FFA62.jpeg
81524036-5190-4DEC-BA90-194E197D192A.jpeg
66CB77D2-C092-4D5D-874E-2C7E32D6FE56.jpeg
3BCED0D8-68F1-485A-B039-97798CFB8FA5.jpeg
38F5343B-A7B5-44DB-A567-EE2618F4DA29.jpeg

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,436
Thank you @egrogan. I do think we will all cherish our play time looking back. I do love it so much right now. I love working with them too, as much as playing I think. We are currently waiting for a pickup to another day work job the girls and I were hired for. Wish us luck!

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,439
Beamer, Cashman and Zeus

The woman still felt a bit nervous going to day work for the ranchers down the road. The owner picked them up at noon and drove them through the route they would push the cows. He told them of fences to watch for and explained that he asked a family to put their dogs away, and he told them old stories as they approached where they would begin.

The trail was longer than the woman expected, and she wished they had started earlier. She had scolded the girls to watch the footing carefully and try and keep things slow, and as she bridled up her own giant colt she wondered if this day would flow as smoothly as their last.

Another rider joined them. The son of the owner was a friendly sight. His horse yelled and threw a tantrum from where he was positioned, but the cowboy didn’t show any nerves or frustration with the old sorrel.

The woman positioned the oldest girl up high, and she and the younger made their way through a maze of wheel lines. She was grateful for the two young horses they rode. They picked their way without nerves or complaint, simply focused on the task ahead of them. They ignored the screaming sorrel and watched as the cows made their way to the gate where the girl turned them through.

They were again trotty, and they hit the next pivot at a run. The cowboy and his old sorrel ran up to bend the top, and the girls moved along quickly behind. Beamer wanted to rush through the snow and up to the cows, but the girl kept him at a trot. Just close enough for the cows to keep direction and back enough to not encourage the speed.

The woman ran up the side as the cows hit the asphalt. Their confusion was short lived and they lined out on the road easily and moved out. They slowed down enough for the horses to pace them at a quick walk, and the riders enjoyed the company for a time.

The woman’s phone rang as they came to a turning point. The man was home from work and wondering if they needed any help before he unsaddled Lucy. “No, we are... oh crap...” A cow had put her head through the heavy cables that stabilized the telephone poles. Suddenly the big horse and the old sorrel sold out, and the icy asphalt loomed under Cashman’s hooves threateningly. She managed to stop at the same time the cowboy stopped, and she laughed into the phone, “Well, we almost were just dumped! Yes, unsaddle,” she continued to giggle.

The girls rode along happily, each doing their job and enjoying their horses. The surprising ease of the afternoon made for a pleasant day. A ways further and the owner’s son turned to go. He had another job to attend to, and he had helped through the most difficult areas. Two four wheelers, one with another owner, the wife of the man who hired them, and another with an employee continued along to plug holes and lend a hand.

It was good that they all were there this time, but the blessed ease of the day allowed for pleasant conversation between moments of action as they made their way.

Prior to their work the owner had called and asked if the four wheelers would be tolerated by the horses, and they reacted how the woman expected. The horses seemed to only appreciate the help and the company, and again the woman was proud of them. They were the perfect group of day working horses, the trustworthy old man and the two youngsters. They never seemed to let their riders down. The day ended happily and with plenty time to spare before darkness would hit.
F07F9F30-91CA-4C34-BE7D-E80A86C6A1BB.jpeg
4BCEBD67-FEC3-454D-B09A-4272F0A6EE6D.jpeg

·
Registered
3,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1,440
I received news this morning that the rancher I worked for yesterday passed away last night. I am grateful for knowing him. He believed in me and in my girls in a way most wouldn’t. I very much enjoyed him and am glad I spent his last day working for him and getting to listen to his stories.

Reactions: SueC and gottatrot
1421 - 1440 of 1477 Posts