The Horse Forum banner

1701 - 1705 of 1705 Posts

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,701 ·
Cash is looking better today!! I was about to make an appointment to get his hoof xrayed in the case he had something lodged in it. I thought we would have seen, but I’ve heard of things like that being unseeable.... the penicillin definitely turned him around. I never got a picture of him poulticed @SueC! He kept managing to rip them off because he is so stinking big and when he spooks occasionally he just pulls right out of them. It was so frustrating!

He was able to see the chiropractor today too! She called him fat, but I do think he’s just a big muscled horse and different built. She said he stayed in fairly well. He did have two ribs that were out pretty decently, and some of his backbone needed work that she said was common for any horse doing a lot of roping. He was less determined to kill her this time, but it still took two of us monitoring both ends to keep her from being bitten or kicked.

She checked Queen just because, and one rib needed adjustment, and Queen seemed very grateful.

Zeus is back to sound too! Another day off or two for Cashman and maybe everything will be back to normal minus the mare being gone.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,702 ·
Just a random update on things without any good stories-

The mare is home! Fingers crossed that she took. She seems pleased to be back. After she finished cycling it took a couple days for us to go get her, so she got to live down with the 4H animals there. Lol

Cash got over being very lame, but he was still tender footed with those shorter hooves. I was debating shoeing him when I came across a thing I wanted to try. It is a resin wrap made to have give. It offers the protection and consistency of a shoe, but the flexibility of a hoof in theory. It did have an American outlet (I think maybe it’s a European company, I’d have to look though), and I was able to purchase a kit. (The reviews I read were glowing, and I did read a lot of hesitation from others which I completely understood. I decided to try it anyways.)

I have no issue with shoeing, it is simply the arguing between my husband and I about when it needs done. Lol. I can theoretically do it myself, but I’ve always been scared of the nailing part. I do trim everything myself, but those we shoe he takes over. It is nice to have a solution that keeps us both happy. (I like barefoot and the benefits of that world, but I have no qualms with shoeing.)

Today I finally had the wraps and the morning to give it a go. He tip toed in over the gravel, and when I finished he walked away perfectly sound looking. What a relief after the last three weeks! We will see how they hold up and what the end result seems to be in time.

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,703 · (Edited)
Cash, Lucy, Queen and a little Junie B

Cash had gone to the arena and roped a couple days, but they hadn’t done any team roping. Lucy had never been out of a box. When the woman heard her father say they were going to spend the evening team roping she was thrilled. She had asked them time and again the year before, but only her girls had played that game with her. That had left her heading, and although it was a good and slow start for the big horse and Zeus, it hadn’t gotten them very far. Cash was not a fast enough horse to be a head horse.

Junie B helped the woman bring the cows out of their corral. The pup was starting to turn it on. Naturally she was always in the right spot, and she was very willing to follow commands. A slight fear of cattle still held in the puppy, but she was overcoming it quickly. Because of her fear, the woman wouldn’t let her bite. She snapped her teeth as she worked back and forth, and she wanted to bite, but a kick would likely ruin the progress they had made.

Once the calves were in the chute and the horses warmed up, Lucy came out of the heeling box hot only to refuse to go into position with the header swinging his rope. Eventually she managed, and they roped the calf.

The woman asked if she could first come from the heading box, since the big horse had yet to run from the heeling side. He lumbered out of the box, and she threw a long shot to miss. She tried the next calf too, but the big horse was too far outran for her to throw her loop. She could have pressured the horse up, but starting with less pressure seemed in her opinion to create a calmer horse long term.

Later she moved the big horse to the heeling box, and they managed to catch a couple behind her father, although the speed still seemed a struggle for the big horse. The last calf he broke harder, but he seemed contented next to sit in the box and score, and she was proud.

Lucy didn’t mind the scoring, and never worked herself up. When they finished roping they decided to cut the cattle. The woman took the young Queen from where she had waited patiently and led her to the calves.

The fancy little mare was cowy, and with more slack from the big horse leading her, she pinned her ears and took snaky runs at the calves. She picked up easily, but she enjoyed herself when given the rope. Lucy worked them next, and then the buckskin. When her father came back without the black horse, she gave her mother Cashman. Hesitantly she slipped on to the bare back of the fancy little filly.

Queen was proud to be ridden. She turned back fine, although in a cautious manner the woman refused her the chances to run at any of the cattle. She kept the little mare in a walk, and she was so excited to be sitting on her back doing something productive. Eventually she climbed back into the saddle of her giant beast.

The ride home the woman smiled ear to ear. She babbled on to her husband at the joy she had in their evening riding. Everything about it made her happy. He was also pleased; his mare had taken her first day of team roping well, and he was so happy to have her back from the breeder.

(Pictures of a prior ride of the Bones and Zeus. I didn’t get any today.)
0C3842B0-5763-455E-8E04-86D759A1C229.jpeg
4B6F316F-7CB1-4439-B396-428B44164663.jpeg
83AF2C09-5738-4329-8919-EB2213AAE8DE.jpeg
0BD04A00-3AF6-4D2B-B3E9-450036AD8A3F.jpeg

·
Registered
8,319 Posts
They each were happy with their day. The youngest had spent hers watching the smaller children. Two managed to get bucked off of a pony in her care, but they had it coming in refusing to mind, and all ended the day healthy and happy.
It's so refreshing to see the expectation of personal responsibility for children, rather than mollycoddling and apologising when something goes wrong that's actually largely gone wrong because they weren't paying attention. (y)

It's one of my pet hates - that in Western societies like Australia and the US, people don't have to look out for themselves and can then blame and successfully sue other people around them for not preventing whatever happened. So it's a balm to my soul to see people teaching children than they do actually have to pay attention to prevent things going curly.

Great photos as usual. When I started reading your journal, Bones and Zeus were my favourites, but Cash and Queen have joined their ranks in my heart. Beautiful filly, and best wishes for Cash's foot! That new resin wrap sounds interesting, can you do some close-ups for us? 😎

·
Registered
3,687 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1,705 ·
@SueC I think that children in my particular culture are required to learn personal responsibility. Maybe it’s because everything is capable of being very dangerous, or maybe it is because everyone has a part to fill. The kids have a lot of pressure put on them too. I think it tends to create very strong willed teenagers though, in that they are competent at many things. With that competence comes a kind of confidence that some don’t understand. I love it myself. You have these people around who you can count on, and they can do so many cool things!

I see the kids you are talking about too though. It is hard for me to handle them.

I am very fond of Cash and Queen. Queen is pulling at me in a way that the others don’t seem to be able to. Bones was like that, and it took me a long time to realize that he had developed that relationship with his girl and left me behind. It made me happy really, for the both of them. I love Queen the way I loved him though, and it surprises me.

Cashman is dependable and like this cranky old man. He is so good for me! He calms my spirit. I love that about him. I am so grateful for him.

I’ll take pictures for you soon! They are seeming wonderful currently!

1701 - 1705 of 1705 Posts