The Horse Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have read a lot of posts recommending Zinc Oxide for nose sunburn on horses. My concern is that this product is marketed for skin protection on babies (diaper Rash). It also has warning labels for ingestion, to call poison control. My question is; is it safe to apply to a horses nose where he can "lick" it from his skin. Zinc can be toxic. Does anyone know for a fact (IE; a vet etc.) that ingesting this will not harm the horse?:?

Thank you for your help.

·
Registered
2 Posts
sunburn

I have tried a nose shade on my paint whose pink nose used to burn. I guess its like a UV version of a fly mask, but the one I ordered just covers the nose. We haven't had any burns since! It was much easier than sun lotion or zinc, and she seems perfectly happy with it on.
Nose Shades - Nag Horse Ranch is the shades, the place is called Nag Horse Ranch (www.naghorseranch.com).
Hope this helps!

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
I have tried a nose shade on my paint whose pink nose used to burn. I guess its like a UV version of a fly mask, but the one I ordered just covers the nose. We haven't had any burns since! It was much easier than sun lotion or zinc, and she seems perfectly happy with it on.
Nose Shades - Nag Horse Ranch is the shades, the place is called Nag Horse Ranch (www.naghorseranch.com).
Hope this helps!
I also had a white nosed paint that would burn, and I tried the whole zinc oxide trick (as per my vet). Made a terrible mess (he'd rub his nose all over his legs then everything would stick to the goo) and irritated his skin. So like the above poster I used a long nose fly mask and it did the trick with no muss no fuss :)

I know, not the answer you were looking for but it's all I got.

·
Registered
158 Posts
I love the Nose Nags ! They are a local business .(not to far from me !) I have a 87% white paint gelding and he is getting another mask .His other fly mask was a smige to big so it went to my senior QH mare that has a blaze .

·
Registered
202 Posts
We use zinc on Mare, she's a cremello that burns when she doesn't bother going into the shade. Haven't had any troubles in 2 years. It's what the vet said to use.

·
Registered
9,872 Posts
I've been using zinc oxide for years without issue.

I also use it lightly on my Arab's sheath skin where he was gelded, the opening area, and his belly button, as there is something about his odor that draw biting flies like magnets.

If I put the diaper rash cream on him, he can go the whole day without getting bit up; there isn't a fly spray made that I can wipe on that will allow him to stay free of fly bites in that area.

It can be a sticky mess, though:(

Reactions: sommsama09
1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.