The Horse Forum banner

Color question

3554 Views 11 Replies 7 Participants Last post by  Eastowest
I've been told you aren't suppose to breed a buckskin to a cremello. Is that true? If so, why? What color would the resulting foal be?
I love Platinum Cowboy so it's got me curious. Untitled
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
1,011 Posts
You'd most likely get perlino, cremello, buckskin, palomino, or possibly smokey black. Can't see any reason not to breed the two together if they are a good match.

I was once looking at a lady's buckskin stallion (who should have been a gelding) and she told me you can't breed palomino to palomino because you'd get a lethal white, I'd already desided she was a flake, I just nodded and moved on.

· Registered
1,011 Posts
I do understand the reasoning (at the time) for not wanting a double dilute, but a double dilute is not a lethal white. (and at the time the foal could have been registered APHA, maybe not ideal, but still). I'm not sure if she realized she'd have the same risk breeding her buckskin to a palomino or another buckskin to, if she did she didn't mention it. I do think a stallion owner should have a basic understanding of genetics where it pertains to their stallion, 'I' think she should have known the difference between a cremello/perlino and a lethal white if she's going to stand a horse w/ a cream dilute gene. A dead foal is a lot different then a foal w/ a less desirable color.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.